corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Getting Prepared For The Air Force Academy as a middle schooler.

Last post 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM by robonut625. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-23-2006, 10:46 PM 3765

Getting Prepared For The Air Force Academy as a middle schooler.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in joining the USAF. I plan to attend the Air Force Academy for college, but thats still 4-5 years off. As of right now, I am an 8th grader. I mantain an A average. I am also very atheletic and have near perfect vision if not perfect vision.

5'10 - 160 pounds
    7:00 Minuite Mile
    52 Situps a minute
    So On

I'm looking for a little advice about how I can prepare atheleticly and Academicly for the academy. I was looking at  their site and it was somewhat confusing. Also about the application process. Who does it need to be approved by?

Some may think 13, almost 14, years old is a little early to start thinking about joining, but I am very passionate about aviation. I mean most kids could care less about how planes fly, but I study it everyday in and day out. I just love reading books about planes. Thats problaly the reason I wanna be a pilot. It was also the plane ride to Florida in the Spirit MD-83 last spring :)

•  11-25-2006, 4:59 AM 3778 in reply to 3765

Re: Getting Prepared For The Air Force Academy as a middle schooler.

Hey,

It's always cool to see kids preparing for the Air Force early on, like I did.  The Academy really wants well-rounded individuals.  It will really help your chances at getting in if you have a varsity letter from high school.  But that's not all, you have to be staminatic and in very good shape.  USAFA students are required to partake in athletic activities everyday.  I suggest you run a few times a week.  Do pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups etc...  Academically you should excel in math and science.  This means taking honors classes when possible.  Get involved with leadership activities at your highs school like student government.  Join clubs like CAP (Civil Air Patrol) and Boyscouts.  Also, you have to be nominated by your state senator or a congressman when you apply.  Now is the time to work hard.  I am a sophomore in high school and am assuring my acceptance at USAFA by doing the things I need to while I have time.  Good luck, keep working hard, and I'll see you in the Air Force.

•  04-15-2007, 10:42 AM 4183 in reply to 3778

Hi,

Im in middle school, and I love airplanes. I love to read and write about them,and I realy want to become a fighter pilot! My sister and I are the only airplane people in the 6th grade! I also want to prepar for the Air Force Academy too!Big Smile

•  04-16-2007, 4:24 PM 4197 in reply to 4183

prepare is speltEmbarrassed wrong oops
  •  04-16-2007, 4:27 PM 4198 in reply to 4197

I mean in F22fighterpilots replyEmbarrassed asome goal
  •  04-16-2007, 8:02 PM 4204 in reply to 4198

Well thanks for the replys. Basicly I really didn't get interested in planes till the end of 7th Grade. That basicly because I havn't riden in a plane till this time last year. But now I got my eyes set on the goal. I belive I started this fourm in the beggining of the school year. I know have All A's. Probaly top 15% of my grade. As far as physical fitteness, I have Phys. Ed. this quarter. I will be tested again in the next 5 weeks. I planning to run the mile under 6:30 this year. If I follow my scale I travel up from the years past I'll make it fine.

5th Grade : 8:45
    6th Grade : 7:57
    7th Grade : 7:06
    8th Grade :  Goal is Under 6:30

As you can see the scale I should be well under. Really got to push myself next year as a freshman. No more joking around no more. My schedule will contain these classes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Intergrated 1
    Honors Biology
    English 1
    Social Studies 1(not sure, might be called Global Studies)
    Boys Phys Ed
    Health
    Graphic Design & Imaging Intro
    Graphic Design & Imaging Intermediate

----------------------------------------------------------

--Chickfighterpilot ---
    I think you said 3 C's. That isn't going to cut it. I know in 7th Grade I did have atleast 2 D's on every report card. Don't let it face you down. You need to do your homework. Even if you don't feel like getting it done at home, do it on the Bus or first hour. As I have done, I belive anybody can turn it around if you try.

--F22FighterPilot--

Stick with it. People think i'm crazy. I've once had 3 or 4 people falling asleep in reading when I did a 10min book report on the History of Aviation. It was worth it though. I got a 270/260 on it. Right now i'm awaiting a grade on a research paper I did on the Boeing 747. The writing was 4 pages plus the works cited, outline, etc... Total of 8 pages. Should be getting a decent grade on it. Even though I'm in the popular group, still get made fun of, I just laugh it off.(and I kill them in Boxing later.)

Well this is one of the longest fourm post I have ever written ever,
    SMDSkata(Jake)

•  04-17-2007, 11:49 AM 4206 in reply to 3765

Hey everyone!

I'm a senior in high school this year, and I'll be going to college and participating in AFROTC. I hope to be a fighter pilot too, but I wanted to get a really good engineering degree because I'm interested in that too. So I decided to do AFROTC and not go to the academy. I don't know a lot about the USAFA, but I've learned a lot about how the AF works and how admissions into the academy works from other people I know that will be going there.

One thing I know for sure is that you are all WAY ahead of everyone else. Most people don't decide what they want to do until they're a senior in high school. That's really way too late for the academy (and anywhere alse for that matter). Setting up your goals early is going to help you immensely.

You sound like you're doing everything right, just keep working on it and you'll get there. There is no magic activity that will prepare you for it, you just have to keep slowly pressing on. Keep working on it all the way through high school and you'll be all set!

Make sure once you're in high school (sophomore, junior), that you get your state senator's recomendation! Some guys forget that little step and then find out that it's too late. I know in my state you have to get it during your junior year. It's really easy, just run a google search on "Air Force Academy YOUR STATE representative".

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

JP
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved