LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

My chances and how to prepare

Last post 03-17-2007, 4:48 AM by Raptorcoach. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-10-2006, 2:20 PM 3826

My chances and how to prepare

Hey all,
    I am 14 and a freshman in high school and I have been very focused on getting into the Air Force Academy for a while, and I want to know my chances and how to prepare.  I currently have a 4.0 and will be starting Lacrosse this spring and possibly Baseball next year.  My upper body strength is pretty good with 70 or so sit ups a minute and 55-60 straight push ups.  Unfortunately my running could use a little work with an 8-9 minute mile.

One of my concerns is my math level, right now by my senior year I will only  reach College Algebra, one level bellow Calculus.  I am concerned that this will put me a little behind.  Are my assumptions correct, should I try to do summer school or something, or is my math level OK?

Any advice is greatly greatly appreciated!!

•  12-10-2006, 3:15 PM 3827 in reply to 3826

Re: My chances and how to prepare

First off 8-9 minute mile, with that many push-ups and sit-ups. Think you need to work on you stamina. Second, was it your choice to take integraded math or other math class instead of algebra I, or does your school not offer?

Like i'll be entering  high school next year and i'll be the first year with the new graduation requirements. For math, I need to have passed 4 - 5 of these math classes.

• Algebra I 

• Algebra II 

• Geometry 

• Precalculus 

• Statistics & Probability 

If you do get accepted, I suppose they could assitice you in getting the right classes, but I have a read the Academy useally excepts people with honors math classes before others.

I hope that helps,
    Jake
  •  12-10-2006, 4:06 PM 3828 in reply to 3827

Hey thanks for responding,
    First of all not quite sure I am totally understanding you...but I pretty much have no choice of math classes until I pass geometry, then I can go into tons of different courses.

I would like to mention that I forgot to say that I am in boy scouts and well on my way to Eagle.

•  12-11-2006, 5:27 PM 3831 in reply to 3826

4.0 is always a good starting point!  Extra-curriculars are good too.  Make sure that you make Eagle!

I would try to get some experience with Calculus before entering.  Even if it is just asking your High School's Calc teacher to show you the basics during your lunch periods.  Simple derivatives go a long way.

•  12-20-2006, 1:13 AM 3852 in reply to 3831

I also have a question about vision....do you have to have 20/20 to be a fighter pilot???  If  so does anyone know if  LASIK type sugeries will be accepted any time soon???
  •  12-20-2006, 4:31 PM 3853 in reply to 3852

I belive I read lasik can disqualify you. You don't need 20/20, but close. I don't know what a minimum requirement is. All I know it, at the optitromist, I read the smallest row with each eye.
  •  12-26-2006, 4:16 PM 3859 in reply to 3853

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get Lasik surgery done. Not only will it disqualify you from pilot training it will also disqualify you from any military programs.  Wait until the academy and then let them correct your vision for you.  The actual requirements are about 20/50 for pilot and 20/200 for navigator.  These requirements are not set in stone though because, as I said before, they will do corrective surgery for you if you are qualified.

Best of luck,

CAPman21 (aka usafa21astr)

•  12-26-2006, 8:54 PM 3861 in reply to 3859

Fortunately I know that LASIK disqualifies you and I was wondering if they might start accepting it soon.  I did not know that they will correct it for you....this is great news to me!!!  Well hopefully if I make it in they will approve me to be a pilot (my 20/70 or so vision included)!!!!!!
  •  12-27-2006, 8:06 PM 3862 in reply to 3861

Also does anyone know how to get ahold of my ALO??

Mach10

•  12-28-2006, 9:50 AM 3865 in reply to 3862

You can either ask your school guidance counselor or you can call to find out through the number given in the annual Academy catalog.

http://www.academyadmissions.com/downloads/catalog.php

Download the admissions section and look at the last sentence last page.

Try your guidance counselor first and if they don't know call the number.

•  12-28-2006, 12:35 PM 3869 in reply to 3865

When should I try to contact him/her(my ALO)????  I am still in my freshman year of high school...is this too soon or should I try as soon as possible?
  •  12-28-2006, 6:38 PM 3872 in reply to 3869

Better sooner than later.  Just contact him/her now and get to know them.  You really start talking to them a lot during your later junior year, but it is good to get your name in their head early and get to know them.  Also they are a great resource and can answer many of your questions about the academy that you have right now or in the future.
  •  12-28-2006, 11:25 PM 3874 in reply to 3872

Ok...thanks for your help!!!!  I will try and get in contact as soon as school starts again!!

Mach10

•  01-11-2007, 10:17 AM 3922 in reply to 3827

About your mile time, just run each day.  When I was a freshman, the best I got was a 9:02 mile.  I got it down to around 6:30 by senior year (even without running every day).  Running is something that just takes practice to improve.  Keep up the good work.

•  01-11-2007, 7:36 PM 3926 in reply to 3922

ya i would work on your mile alot and also i would go to the gym every now and then to strengthen your muscle even move.

Running every day for at least 45 min should, over time, improve you mile!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us