LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

AFA PREPERATION??

Last post 12-02-2006, 4:52 PM by run. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-05-2006, 8:24 PM 3632

AFA PREPERATION??

Hey guys right now im a sophmore in high school and have GPA of 3.3 but i know its going to go up. Im in MCROTC and participate a lot. Im also doing community service for the school and for ROTC. As for sports I am part of my High schools swimming team and the cities swimming team. I also go to the gym to keep in shape and also am going to begin working. I really want to go to the AFA because my goal/DREAM is becoming a Fighter Pilot for the USAF. But im not sure if im doing good so far. Can you guys help me and give me any type of good advise that you think will help me in reaching my goal. What do i need to do in order to get accepted? Do i need flying experience before i get there? thank you guys please i will really appreciate it!!Big Smile
  •  11-25-2006, 5:12 AM 3779 in reply to 3632

Re: AFA PREPERATION??

USAFA wants good grades.  A 3.30 probably isn't going to cut it.  Do whatever it takes to get a 4.00.  Remember that the average GPA at USAFA is 3.90.  Other than that, it sounds like you are doing well.  Join Civil Air Patrol and talk to your counselor so they can further help you.  AFA doesn't care if you know how to fly a plane.  They want you to focus on academics now.  Not saying that it doesn't help though.  Good luck!
  •  11-27-2006, 9:19 PM 3788 in reply to 3779

Yeah,

3.3 probably isn't going to do it. You always have to remeber, theres always someone else trying to do better then you. Its a fact of life. Just remember try your hardest to do good on your school work. Take no short cuts. Ask when you don't understand. Read books about planes. Also talk to your teachers about general things when you have a chance. It may not effect your grades, but you will get you better citzenship marks, and if you wanted them to, they could write letters of recemedation for you. Trust me, in school, the biggest part of your grade is homework and 1 or 2 test. So hand in all assignments done, and correct (double check!) Also study for test here and their. I know this because I was a C- Student laster year (7th Grade) and this year so far, I have managed to mantain all A's and 1 B+. Like F-22 wrote, they don't care if your the best pilot in the world, they just want you to excel in academics and leadership skills. Also F-22 I told you 3.9 - lol

Jake
  •  11-29-2006, 1:23 AM 3789 in reply to 3788

Also F-22 I told you 3.9 - lol

Jake

According to Ultimate College Guide 2006, the AVERAGE GPA of the incoming freshman class at USAFA is 3.90

•  11-29-2006, 6:11 AM 3791 in reply to 3789

But I did mention it to you, right?

Jake
  •  11-30-2006, 9:53 AM 3794 in reply to 3791

I sure am glad they look at other things than previous grades here in Denmark :) We have one of the toughest pilot selection programs in the world, but previous grades don't count for much. They have their own tests they put you through before you are accepted. We even have pilots here with GPAs from "High School" below average. Guess it just didn't interest them. They still end up as some of the Top Graduates when they go through pilot training in US :)

I guess you can't really compare our grades to the US grading system either. We of course have a different scale, but I also think that we grade more towards the middle than what is done in the States. Here average means average so the Average GPA of all the students here would be 2.0 Is it like that in the States?

It is also very rare to see a straight A student here. Years go by where there is not a single one in the Country.

•  11-30-2006, 8:18 PM 3799 in reply to 3794

Thats interestesting.

An "A+" in the US means all problems are completed and correct.

A "F" in the US means 1 of 2 things. Not handed in, or Below 50% of your anwsers are wrong.

All grades from the semester are averaged; So say I got 2 A+ and 2 F. My average would be a C. C is considered average. Now wherever your average grade lines up on the grade point average scale is what your GPA is.

A = Excelent
    B = Above Average
    C = Average
    D = Below Average
    F = Failure

Also by the way, I'm a staight A student in to US. For Math and Science I mantain 92% and For Social Studies and English, I have a 99%

Jake

•  12-01-2006, 12:33 AM 3800 in reply to 3799

Hi Jake

What is the average GPA for the graduating class in the school you are going to now?

To be a straight A here you would pretty much need 100% in everything.

We use the 13 scale, where 8 is the average performance. 92% in a math test would probably land you at 9 depending on the test just to give you an example of the grading.

We don't have any multiple choice tests - and 13 often means you did something above and beyond. You can have 100% correct results and still only get 11 (We don't have 12 on the scale)

•  12-02-2006, 1:39 PM 3805 in reply to 3800

Run,

I would have to say the average graduating GPA here is around 2.5 - 2.7. Kids don't try anymore. Drop out rate is peaking.

Jake

•  12-02-2006, 4:52 PM 3807 in reply to 3805

I guess I just don't understand your grading :o)

If C is average and C=2.0, then average GPA ought to be around 2.0 right :o)

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us