LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Air Force Academy Admissions

Last post 04-12-2005, 10:22 PM by bbos. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-22-2005, 11:08 AM 2805

Air Force Academy Admissions

Hey,
       I'm a freshman in high school and I wanted to know what my chances were of being able to gain admissions to USAFA.  I want to be a fighter pilot and then eventually an astronaut.  My most recent average was 97.25 or 3.89.  My highest average this year is a 98.75 or 3.95.  I just joined Civil Air Patrol and I'm hoping to advance in that and gain some awards from it.  In the next couple of years I hope to be able to get my pilot's license or at least get close to it.  I play 3 sports a year golf, basketball, and baseball.  I'm on the varsity team for golf and on the JV team for baseball.  I don't play basketball for the school but I do referee youth games.  One of the problems is that I am nearsighted.  I think its like 20/400 in my right eye and 20/200 in my left.  My diopters are 2 in my left and 2.75 in my right.  I've read and heard about the Air Force performing PRK for candidates, but what are the chances of getting that waiver? 

Thanks for your help,

CAPman21
  •  03-15-2005, 1:06 AM 2842 in reply to 2805

Re: Air Force Academy Admissions

I am a senior in high school and I was accepted to the Air Force Academy.  I can tell you that your chances are looking good so far.  YOU MUST keep up the good grades.  Academics is the most important thing in the selection process.  Take the most challenging courses possible and get an A.  At the same time, be involved in as many things as you can.  I don't think you'll be going in to the academy pilot or navigator qualified.  There might be a waiver for your eyesight later though.
  •  03-15-2005, 10:22 AM 2844 in reply to 2805

Thanks for your help,
         I was also wondering how hard it is to get a scholarship for sports to the academy?  Is it more competitive or less competitive than other colleges.
  •  03-15-2005, 11:33 PM 2847 in reply to 2805

I'm not sure about the sports scholarships.  I wasn't admitted based on sports.  I was admitted based on the normal way that most people are admitted.  I just applied and was accepted.  Keep in mind, even if they want you for sports, you still have to get a nomination.
  •  04-05-2005, 10:20 AM 2881 in reply to 2847

I also read on another site that you need to have some kind of involvement in student government. I haven't really read about student government being a must on other sites that I have looked at.  Do you have any advice? 
  •  04-12-2005, 10:22 PM 2889 in reply to 2805

Do you have to have nominations inorder to apply?
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us