LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Dream of flying

Last post 12-30-2010, 6:51 AM by raimius. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-23-2010, 8:18 PM 9921

Dream of flying

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore in college studying aeronautical engineering. I have a 2.7 GPA (had a rough semester, ill get it up) and am most likely going to begin AF ROTC this coming semester.

I really want to fly, but unfortunately my vision is not perfect. I have 20/20 vision in my right eye  but my left eye is about 20/40. I would love to be a fighter pilot, but I understand how hard it is to actually become one. I am also very interested in becoming a CSAR helo pilot, which seems to me like a more realistic goal. My question is this: do they look at every potential pilot candidate as the same or could I specify that I would like to fly helos?  I know how selective the process is, I just would like an honest answer what my chances are.

Thanks,

Chris
  •  12-24-2010, 12:54 AM 9923 in reply to 9921

Re: Dream of flying

Also-

1.) I was captain of the varsity wrestling team in high school and had average grades (3.2 gpa)

2.) My brother is about to get his instructors license, so he will be able to teach me how to fly. I should have my pilot's license by the time I graduate.

3.) I was prescribed to adderall one year ago and went to a marine recruiter and he said that I needed to be off it for a year at least by the time i started rotc. Will that disqualify me for anything in the air force? I would rather just not admit to even doing it but its too late since the marines got it down on paper.
  •  12-30-2010, 6:51 AM 9936 in reply to 9923

Re: Dream of flying

Well, you will need to be off adderall for at least a year. That is true. Don't try to hide it, as lying about medical records will get you kicked out of the military. The military doesn't look kindly on people without integrity.

Talk to your college's AFROTC officers. They should be able to fill you in about the process for applying. You'll likely have to do a two year program.

Air Force UPT begins the same for every student. Whether a student tracks to fighters or helos will only be determined several months into training. You will be able to request what you want, but nothing is guaranteed.

Your vision may not hinder you. If it can be corrected to 20/20 with contacts/glasses, you probably have good enough vision to pass a flight physical (I believe the cut-off is 20/70 correctable to 20/20.)
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us