corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

What will increase my chances of becoming a pilot?

Last post 10-30-2010, 1:49 PM by milpilot. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-23-2010, 8:47 PM 9430

What will increase my chances of becoming a pilot?

Are there any certain courses in college that are required for becoming an Officer in the NAVY or USAF? And are there any that will increase my chances?
    What about getting my pilots license? Is it worth it to get one beforehand? Or would it be a waste of money?
    Any other things that would increase the liklihood of becoming a pilot in the NAVY or USAF?
    And are the requirements for becoming a fighter pilot much different than being a pilot of a cargo/transport plane?
    (My vision is 20/20,not colorblind and in good physical condition)
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  •  08-01-2010, 9:45 PM 9462 in reply to 9430

Re: What will increase my chances of becoming a pilot?

You need to go through a commissioning program. AFROTC or AF OTS are your best bets. They like technical degrees, but they are not mandatory to be a pilot. Which aircraft a pilot will fly is determined during pilot training. (Guard has some different options, so look into that too.)
  •  08-14-2010, 9:09 AM 9487 in reply to 9462

How is it determined? Do you pick what you want and train for that? Or do you take some sort of test to determine what you are going to fly?
    And also if you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like in highschool?
  •  08-14-2010, 6:02 PM 9488 in reply to 9487

It is explained fairly well here. http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/

I had 2 B's in high school.
  •  08-22-2010, 1:25 PM 9500 in reply to 9487

For active duty, everyone starts in the T-6. You will be ranked against your classmates, then at the 6 month point, you will track select into fighter/bomber, heavy aircraft, helicopters, or C-130 training. This is based upon what is available within the AF, what each person wants, and what those who ranked above them choose.

My high school gpa was 3.95.
  •  10-30-2010, 1:49 PM 9743 in reply to 9430

One additional requirement for fighter pilots is the ability to pass centrifuge training.  Depending on which fighter you are going to fly, you may need to demonstrate that you can properly withstand up to 9 Gs for a sustained period of time.  There is also a FACT (Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test) that all fighter pilots must complete.  This is strictly a weight lifting test of the major muscle groups.  The weights you are required to lift are based on a percentage of your body weight.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us