corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Is a technical major necessary for a chance at an AF pilot slot?

Last post 11-01-2009, 11:44 PM by mike275. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-29-2009, 8:54 PM 8521

Is a technical major necessary for a chance at an AF pilot slot?

Hello, my names Mike and I’m a freshman in the AFROTC (currently non-scholarship).  As of now, I’m declared as an accounting major, but time is ticking away and I need to make a decision within the next week for a certain path.

I have conflicting thoughts on the subject due to reasons I will state below, but I was curious if there was a general consensus, and if so could someone with experience please inform me?

My brother attends VMI, on a Navy ROTC scholarship.  He is in his senior year, majoring in mechanical engineering.  He struggled, but worked hard through it all, and recently received a pilot slot.  I couldn’t be happier for him.   I also heard that his friends with degrees such as history, English, etc; the Navy is having a hard time figuring out what to do with them.

Now, just today, in my leadership lab, we had an amazing guest speaker who volunteered on his break.  An F-16 fighter pilot, a very cool guy all around.  He gave a great presentation on the jet and how he got there.  I asked him after the presentation what he majored in, and he finished college as a Political Science major, with a 2.8 gpa.

I really want to put up a fighting chance for a pilot slot, it’s a dream of mine, as of many others.  I’m willing to work hard for it.  So should I switch my major to something like mechanical engineering, in order for a better chance down the road for a slot?

Of course I’m aware of the extreme amount  of factors that goes into pilot slot selection, I’m just wondering about the degree aspect as of now, so hold all other factors equal.

Thanks for any help/advice.

•  11-01-2009, 11:44 PM 8542 in reply to 8521

Re: Is a technical major necessary for a chance at an AF pilot slot?

(Laughs) Solved my own post.
    Got a very good answer from an AFROCT Instructor:

N O.

That's one of the biggest myths. Makes me crazy. 53% of AFROTC pilot selects last year did not have a technical degree. Did Not. The board never sees your major. They see your commander's recommendation, your GPA, your AFOQT score, your most recent PFA and your TBAS score.

Your GPA actually factors in 3 times, one its own, your CC will use it to rank you, and its also factored into the TBAS score.

So bottomline: pick a major that you will like and do well in.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us