LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Chance of a medical waiver?

Last post 01-22-2008, 10:47 PM by raimius. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-20-2008, 11:51 PM 5114

Chance of a medical waiver?

I would like to become a USAF pilot very much,  however I have a back condition called scoliosis,  I have two curves a upper and lower,  one is in the mid 30 range , the other curve is in the mid 40 range.

According to this site http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/spine.htm it is a medically disqualifying condition. 

Is their any chance I could get a waiver?  I am 18 years old, and according to docters and xrays, I am done growing and the curve should not progress much farther.  I do not have any pain and the docter says that my back isnt any weaker than a normal one?

c. Deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function if-

(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.

(2) It interferes with wearing a uniform or military equipment.

(3) It is symptomatic and associated with positive physical finding(s) and demonstrable by x-ray.

(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, and kyphosis or lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method.

Also,  What if I have surgary done to correct the curves to near straight. Two rods would be screwed into the spine. It is pretty serious surgary but is somewhat common process and very little risk.  leaves a scar about 12 inches long on the back.   Would I have a better or worse chance of a waiver?

d. Fusion, congenital (756.15), involving more than two vertebrae. Any surgical fusion (81.0P) is disqualifying.

One last thing would it make any difference on my chances about my prefernce of which job.  Pulling G's in a fighter would put stress on the spin.  But what about flying choppers, or staying on the ground as a officer.  I plan to try through OCS

•  01-22-2008, 10:47 PM 5125 in reply to 5114

Re: Chance of a medical waiver?

As a guess, I would say your chances of flying are very slim.

However, I am not an expert.  Go to www.serviceacademyforums.com and ask this question in the DoDMERB section for a more enlightened answer.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us