LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

bad outlook

Last post 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM by teo. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-14-2008, 3:49 PM 5087

bad outlook

I really, really, really, really want to be a fighterpilot (just like everyone else here I guess) but when I was 12 or so years old my eyesight took a turn for the worse and to become a fighterpilot here (in Sweden) you need perfect vision, no exceptions, so eventually I just gave up on it.

I'm 20 now and I really have to decide what I want to do with my life and I saw that one actually has a chance of becoming a fighterpilot in the US even with less than 20/20 vision. I'm not a US citizen though (duh) so I realize that doing so would be next to impossible, but if I want to try, how would I go about it?

I think I have what it takes in every area except eyesight. I'm naturally calm in tense situations, I have good spatial abilities, good hand to eye coordination. I don't have perfect grades but I'm pretty intelligent (not trying to sound arrogant, but I scored the highest grade in both math and physics without studying). I'm a bit skinny, but I don't have any medical condition that I'm aware of. My English skills are good too. None of that makes me a good pilot but I think and hope I have what it takes.

I know I will have to apply to an American college, but any advice further than that would be appreciated. And I don't need to hear "you can't do it so don't try"
  •  01-14-2008, 10:25 PM 5090 in reply to 5087

Re: bad outlook

You need to get rolling on the US citizenship process.  Citizenship requirements and pilot selection age limits are the most pressing issues at the moment. 

So,

Get a college degree

Get US citizenship

Go through a commissioning program for the US Air Force or Navy

Before you are 29 years old.

•  01-15-2008, 5:01 AM 5092 in reply to 5090

Thank you for the reply
    I will try to do the SAT as soon as possible. College is four years right? How long is a commissioning program?

I was intent on getting engineering degree anyway, so I'm willing to take a chance. I had supressed all hopes of becoming a fighterpilot but now they surfaced again and I thought to myself "maybe in the next life", but then I realized I won't be able to live with myself if I don't do everything in my power to try to become one.

By the way, are special recommendations a prerequisite? I have a relative who works at NASA and one who's an ex marine, will that increase my odds?
  •  01-15-2008, 11:45 AM 5093 in reply to 5092

I think my eyesight is too bad anyway =(
    damn =(

Why do they have a limit prior to corrective surgery? You can still get normal vision post surgery

There are lenses you can use during sleep that make you see good during the day, does anyone know the Navy's/USAF's stance on that?
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us