LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Air Force Acedemy

Last post 12-30-2007, 1:06 AM by slav.yo. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-29-2004, 10:06 PM 2430

Air Force Acedemy

I've seen quite a bti of these threads up and around but I jsut wondering. Now, i have a "profile" already wiht Academy Admissions and am following their guidlines for entering. I myself am a Sophmore in highschool and about 10 months ago i realised that i am going to the Air Force Academy. The only problem so is what i should most likely do for physical activities, as i am not in proper shape, but i am nota ll that out of shape. I was just wondering what you people would reccomned to loose wieght, the safe way, and not jsut diet, becuase thats not the problem anymore. Ohh and at my highschool Pre-Calculus is a higher class than trig/anylst, but in ym carrer field of engineering trig would make more sense, which sould i take in your opinions. I am leaning towards trig, but i'm not sure. Ohh just for some reason i have been told by several people in the airforce, including the Colonel at my school, the guidance counsler, and the principle, and most likely soon to be the ALO for my area, which i've had quite a difficult time getting the proper phone number.
  •  02-02-2004, 8:35 PM 2432 in reply to 2430

Re: Air Force Acedemy

Well, no one answered anythign i had to say there, so i have some other questions. Like the maximum hieght a pilot can have, and the vision as i have around 20/10, which is suppose to be better than 20/20, so is it?
  •  02-11-2004, 6:39 PM 2440 in reply to 2432

The Maximum Height you can be to fly a Military plane is 70 inches. You need to be between 54 - 70 inches. How do you know you are getting into the academy?
  •  02-11-2004, 6:39 PM 2441 in reply to 2432

The vision is suppose to be at least 20/20
  •  02-22-2004, 9:18 PM 2449 in reply to 2441

Now, from wat i've been hearing from my doctor the last time i talked to him is that 20/10 is better(means i can see things at 20 feet, that normal eyes would have to 10 feet away from to see). And I dont exactly know i'm getting into the academy, especially since my age is too few. But it is always good to have steely determination, and good stuff to put down on an application. I have also been talking to many academy graduates that i personally know and have been told the only thing i really need to work on is playing sports, but i have that kinda covered cause i have a job instead, adn my sat scores are only something like 50 points away from the range they are looking for(they will improve, specially since i'm only in the 10th grade). Also i have many backup plans just incase i dont get accepted, i've got west point sending me lots of things, and about 13 other colleges have sent me "propaganda" trying to get me into their schools.

BTW, anyone who reads this, if you are in the olando area and know any good places for flight school, could ya gimme a shout.
  •  03-18-2004, 3:35 AM 2462 in reply to 2449

Has anybody considered making a sticky thread on: "future fighter pilots?"
    Seems really common.

Anyway, first is some general advice for flying for any service, and possibly any nation:
    1)Be an overachieving tool. Always go the extra mile.
    2)Don't wait for a recruiter to come to you. In the US, aviators aren't recruited, YOU have to take the first step.
    3)ROTC/USNA/USAFA is the way to go to fly.

Now you have the other issues like education:
    Do you want to be an engineering major in college? Think REALLY hard about this issue, I strongly recommend you don't take this decision lightly. Imagine almost NOTHING but math and science for about four years of your life. Almost no partying. If not, you at LEAST have to be a math/science major which is almost as bad.
    If that's fine with you, the Air Force is fine for you.
    If you think being an engineer would absolutely suck and still want to be a fighter pilot, join the Navy. They don't care what major you are as long as you ace the ASTB in college(a standardized navy exam), which, one of the things it does is determine if you have enough mechanical aptitude to be a pilot.

Another issue is quality of life:
    Service academies like the USNA/USAFA are great at preparing you for the military.
    ROTC on the other hand, will give you all the same training without the extra regimentation.
    For example, in a service academy, you don't have the option of skipping a lecture b/c your professor is an idiot and you could learn better on your own. You also HAVE to study during mandated study hours. You also HAVE to sleep at certain times, wake up at certain times, etc. In ROTC, everything is up to you.

Think hard about this kind of stuff, or you'll regret it later.
  •  04-10-2004, 3:52 AM 2471 in reply to 2462

"Has anybody considered making a sticky thread on: "future fighter pilots?"
    Seems really common. "

Yes, indeed we have. In a month or so we will be upgrading the Forum extensively and ad a Forum solely for "becoming a military pilot"
  •  04-20-2004, 9:16 PM 2480 in reply to 2462

First, math is simple to me and i actually seem to like it. I've been through books and books and talked to people about the major i plan on taking. The thing is that i want to design and fly planes(fly as a fighter, design after i retire), now this want isnt weak, it is what i plan on doing with my life and believe me I havent taken ANYTHING lightly. And then theres the ROTC thing. ROTC is a back-up plain and simple as i will be in the military, I've already made that choice. Although there are certain activities in ROTC that you cant do for a couple of years in USAFA that doestn bother me one bit. I am actually applyign for all of the service academies, but my first choice is AF then it goes to West Point, then Navy , and then Coast Guard(for some reason they actually contacted me before i got to them:) ). And as for this quote:

"If you think being an engineer would absolutely suck and still want to be a fighter pilot, join the Navy. They don't care what major you are as long as you ace the ASTB in college(a standardized navy exam), which, one of the things it does is determine if you have enough mechanical aptitude to be a pilot. "

Umm.... that is also the reason for the academy. With the air force academy, or when you graduate you can get into flight school, and alot of graduates do get in. No matter your major you can take pilot training if you qualify, and anyways in USAFA you are required to take 2 years of mechanical engineering so why not just finish and get my degree.
  •  08-08-2004, 9:07 AM 2546 in reply to 2462

Umbrella [um] Re: Air Force Acedemy

"Has anybody considered making a sticky thread on: "future fighter pilots?"
    Seems really common.
    "

Now we finally got around to updating our forum. Here is an entire forum with the subject in mind:

http://www.avitop.com/AspNetForums/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=33

Cool
  •  12-07-2005, 4:32 PM 3123 in reply to 2440

Nothe maximum height is 77"Stick out tongue
  •  12-30-2007, 1:06 AM 5021 in reply to 2430

youd prolly wanna take calculus, itll eventually lead you to vector calculus which is essential to physics which is in turn essential to engineering. Make sure you take physics.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us