LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Military pilot options

Last post 11-04-2011, 10:10 PM by khalil. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-31-2010, 10:13 PM 9460

Military pilot options

I'm trying to help my 17 year old nephew gather information/guidance on becoming a pilot in the military. I have read posts on this site et. al. that recommend ROTC with one of the branches when he goes to college. He is NOT interested in being a fighter/"Top Gun" kind of pilot but thinks he would be interested flying cargo, etc... Any suggestions? Thanks.
  •  08-01-2010, 9:46 PM 9463 in reply to 9460

Re: Military pilot options

For active duty Air Force, he can do AFROTC at a civilian college, to to USAFA, or graduate from college then go through AF OTS.
  •  10-30-2010, 1:57 PM 9744 in reply to 9463

Don't forget the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve options.  These routes allow you to secure a pilot slot before you actually make any commitment.  And many ANG or AFRC pilots fly full time, just like active duty Air Force.

Ryan

•  12-11-2010, 1:22 PM 9892 in reply to 9744

I recently posted a question similar to this one and just stumbled across this answer. How would I go about doing this? I live next to a C5 unit and don't mind a long commitment, I just want to continue to live where I grew up.
  •  12-19-2010, 10:23 PM 9904 in reply to 9892

C5s are more stable than most aircraft, as there are only a couple bases for them, but you would still likely be moving every few years if you go active duty.
  •  11-04-2011, 10:10 PM 10861 in reply to 9460

First and foremost, your nephew should do his best to have good grades since it matters to have those when he wants to become a pilot. The military makes it's decision based on the "whole person concept" so I suggest your nephew do ROTC, maintain a good GPA, be involved with the community, keep flying, be well-rounded and advise that he doesn't give them any reason for not selecting him when the time comes. I hope your nephew does well and gets to achieve his dreams.
    And for those who are interested to know how it is to be in a military school, you may want to read this.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us