LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

common question but i would like a unique answer

Last post 12-26-2007, 4:06 PM by raimius. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-14-2007, 7:32 PM 4954

common question but i would like a unique answer

im an 18 year old male currently going to umass dartmouth in Massachusetts. im an engineering major with good math skills. Unfortunately i find myself lacking motivation. I am not sure how interested am am with a desk job at a computer working with autoCAD for 8 hours a day. i want some adventure damnit!

I want to become a pilot more then you know! i want to fly! but other then that i know very little about the military or there requirements. my vision is luckly better then most, i believe i have 20/15 or 20/10 not sure but is better then 20/20. i have no health problems but i did injure my knee when i was in 8th grade. i fractured my tibia  and needed a few pins put in. i made a 100 percent recovery as the doctor expected.

how hard is it to get into the piloting program and become a pilot? ive heard from a few uninformed friends that its near impossible, but i dont believe that. could someone help me figure out the best course of action i should take from my position now in school.

thanks,

p.s sorry for the long read

•  12-15-2007, 11:09 PM 4955 in reply to 4954

Re: common question but i would like a unique answer

I don't know if Dartmouth has ROTC programs.  If you have AFROTC, look into that.  AFROTC commissions about 1300 people per year, with about 500 available pilot slots.  If you join AFROTC, make sure you get good grades, do well on PT tests, and get a good commander's review.  Pilot slots are competitive, so the higher you rank on the order of merit (which is based on what I said above) the higher the better your chances of getting a pilot slot are.  The order that people apply for jobs is the order of merit, so if you rank #1, you get to pick first. 

www.afrotc.com has the official information

•  12-16-2007, 4:00 PM 4958 in reply to 4955

thank you for the info! what if my school does not at an AFROTC program? can i join after college with my degree?

also say you are one of the 1300ish commissioned people and you do not get a pilot spot. does that mean your stuck doing a job you dont want to do, is the AFROTC before you enlist?
  •  12-26-2007, 4:06 PM 5010 in reply to 4958

Your school might have a cross-town agreement with another college's ROTC program.  If not, investigate OTS (which is after graduation).

If you do not get a pilot slot, you would have to choose something else and fulfill your commitment in another job.  It's always good to have a back-up choice.

AFROTC is a commissioning program, NOT an enlistment program.  They are two completely different routes.  I suggest you do a little more research into the difference between officers and enlisted.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us