LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

F-119 Stealth Fighter

Last post 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM by uss75. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-22-2007, 11:38 PM 4240

F-119 Stealth Fighter

Hey, this is probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't figure out a forum that was more appropriate. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Anyways, I remember reading about and seeing pictures of a plane called the F-119 Stealth Fighter. I even built a model of one when I was a kid. I've been looking all over the internet for this plane, and haven't been able to find it anywhere. It looks very different from the F-117 Nighthawk. It's very flat, and more rounded. The edge of the wings curve downward and it has two lumps at the side of the fuselage. They are like canards, but much smoother. If anyone knows anything about this plane and where to find it online, please let me know. Thank you!

Chris
  •  04-26-2007, 12:54 AM 4249 in reply to 4240

Re: F-119 Stealth Fighter

Never heard of it.  It's not in the USAF or Navy inventory...so, it probably doesn't exist.
  •  05-07-2007, 12:50 PM 4278 in reply to 4240

The F-119 never existed.

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly the F-119 was what the media called the stealth fighter the Lockheed Martin was developing. Ultimately, the real stealth fighter was designated the F-117. There was a lot of speculation about what the stealth fighter would look like, and some of the ideas were made into plastic model kits (which were very popular).

If you're interested in stealth aircraft, I would recommend you read Skunk Works by Ben Rich. He was the director of the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works during the design and construction of the F-117. Very good book with a lot of interesting information on the Nighthawk.
  •  05-29-2007, 2:15 PM 4372 in reply to 4240

I think the plane you're referring to was the fictitious F-19 stealth fighter. Microprose created a fun flight simulator game based on the speculation of a stealth fighter and then updated with the F-117 title once it was declassified. Several toy manufacturers also produced "models" of what it supposedly looked like based on artists conceptual renderings, inclulding Zee toys (Dynaflites) & ERTL.

http://www.theaeroartcompany.com/f_19_stealth_fighter.html

The only other plane that fits your description was also a toy airplane created by Imperial Diecast that resembled the make believe plane in Clint Eastwood's Firefox movie. It's the plane pictured in the middle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Imperial-Diecast-Jet-Airplane-F-16-F-18-Stealth-MIB_W0QQitemZ120062181044QQihZ002QQcategoryZ45347QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

•  07-05-2007, 8:11 PM 4505 in reply to 4240

I built that model too... it had downsweeping wings.... like a dove in flight. I don't know that there was ever a real plane. I do know that the Engine is in the F-22 is a Pratt and Whitney called F-119. a very powerful engine. I'm a War Vet and though i was in the Army I've been obsessed with Jets since i was like six. I found this picture www.angelfire.com/nh/blackjet/images/F_119.jpg
    perhaps the model was built on the hype surrounding the f-117 bomber. Note: the only Stealth Aircraft in the US Arsenal is the B-2, F-117, F-22. some others have low radar cross sections like the newest F/A 18-E i believe.  The B-2 is the flying wing designed decades ago with propellers (no joke) and there was a fatal crash and it was put on the back burner for years. B-2 is a Long Range bomber that can deliver just about any laser guided bomb in our arsenal. It's Hull is radar absorbing in laymans terms. it's engine is surrounded by ceramics to reduce heat signature from the exaust. It's worth every buck they payed for it i think but it has no air-to-air ability. The F-117 was a prototype in Stealth Flight. using radar reflection more than absorbtion the idea was to make the waves go anywhere but it back to the sender. It's a silly plane cause it isn't aerodynamic and requires considerable electronic aid to stay in flight. I believe it only has two bomb runnners. it's often called a stealth fighter but any fool can see by looking at it that it would not be capable of a dog fight. The F-22 which has the engine I was talking about uses radar absorbing materials to hide from typical threats like SA-2 sites. the thing is that stealth technology for aircraft requires a detailed knowledge of what things look like from the ground as a man, machine. from people watching the sky with manual AAA guns, radar guided systems like the ZSU-23. sophisticated blimps that monitor winds, sounds, heat. missiles guided by radar, by thermal cameras, IR cameras. no to mention the threats to anyone flying NAP of the earth. small arms, SA-15, Stinger. I think stealth craft are overated. there's obviously a niche for them but none of them are invisible. It's easy to bomb the middle east back into the stone age. villager says "ooh upgrade". try something like that on china and I doubt they'd come back unscathed. I'm ranting.... It looks like the f-119 was made up as a believed construct of the future stealth fighter(back in the early 90s or late 80s). there's probably an aurora spy plane model too even though i've never seen the plane only rumors. Boeing was making the Army a stealth helicoptor but the Army's $$$ was insufficient so they killed the contract. I lived with a guy who talked to a major who was involved and they took his models away (sob sob). Commanche had video games in the DOS operating system even though the helicopter was only a dream then. I think they make the models and video games as eye candy for the military generals that have to yeah/neah the projects. I figure the F-119 model was just eye candy. like drawings that game designers make before writing even a single line of code. on a foreign note check out russia's planes. they are very cool.
  •  04-11-2010, 11:47 PM 9114 in reply to 4505

The f-119 Stealth fighter was a real plane, however, obvious problems had to have put it in the recycling bin. First of all, I've heard that it was sent after a mig for some strange search and destroy mission. It was not used very much at all. And there is a picture of it on this forum, unfortunately it only looks similar to the aircraft in the game. Obviously, the wings were not designed right. They were extended too far. The game design was better for airflow and possibly stability. It would have glided like the shuttle. The problem with the plane if it was like in the game, is that the skin was not radar absorbent, but reflective and needed a radar jammer. From the looks of this plane, it was obviously bigger than most other fighter planes. The military might not have liked that. And yes, the f-117 looks like it would be an air to air tactical joke, especially after all the things I just read which I'm pretty sure I've heard before. I think that the f-119 should be remade, with the smooth triangler body. Of course the f-22 could do the trick, a few modifications and using its supercruise, would be a formidable stealth fighter. I'll finish this post later if I need to. But there is a picture of the f-119 in the archives on this forum. I read about the programmers who first designed this game. It was for the commodore computer system. In the middle of developing this game, military investigators came in and asked where they got the information to make this game because it so closely resembled their plane. needless to say, they were a little interested. The plane existed, even if it was for only one mission, or just sat unused in a hanger waiting to be scrapped after just coming off the drawing board.
  •  01-22-2011, 1:43 PM 10052 in reply to 4240

Hi Chris,

I have a 1973 Die cast F-19 Fictional Stealth Fighter, if you have not found one.  its about 6" long.

e-mail me if your still looking for one
    Thanks
  •  05-20-2012, 10:27 PM 11482 in reply to 4240

look up the fire fox movie its the american verison of it. they called it the mig 31 conpect.
    john
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us