LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Carrier Landing Practice

Last post 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM by KenV. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-28-2006, 3:56 PM 3871

Carrier Landing Practice

The short story: My father has a large hunk of rope that apparently was used to stop fighters that were stationed in Niagara Falls NY.  As the story goes: the Navy provided fighters that were carrier based – well they were fitted with arrestor hooks.  I think the unit was the 107th Fighter Interceptor Group (Air National Guard) flying F-16s.  I could believe that some jig was used for practicing carrier landings.  I can not believe that these planes needed to grab a wire to stop.  I also question the use of rope and not wire… Perhaps someone out there will me understand the set up and usage?  Happy New Year… Mike – Buffalo, NY

•  01-29-2007, 12:00 PM 3999 in reply to 3871

Re: Carrier Landing Practice

After the USAF flew Navy aircaft for several years (The F-4 and A-7), they learned to really like having an arrestor hook.  The F-15 and F-16, although totally non carrier capable, both have an arrestor hook, as does the F-117 and F-22.  Why?  Almost all military bases worlwide have "field arresting gear".  Theses system cannot stop an aircraft in the few feet at full touchdown speed the way carrier arresting gear do, but they can stop an aircarft that has landed and has already slowed down to keep it from running off the end of the runway, and that's how USAF uses it, to prevent their aircraft from running of the end of the runway in the event of some problem.  Maintaining the arresting gear is way way cheaper than fixing an aircraft that has overrun the runway.

And you're right, it does no use a rope, but a steel cable.  A rope would not begin to work for this kind of application.

Hope this answered your question.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us