LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Counter measures

Last post 05-27-1999, 8:30 PM by anonymous2. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-26-1999, 2:51 AM 608

Counter measures

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi,

I've been thinking about the counter measures (flares & Chaff) on todays fighter aircraft. How well do they function in real combat? What if they developed a counter measure that is like a small missle and can be fired from the plane in any angle (like a gun turret). These small missles could be made to track & kill incomming missles like SAM's & Air-Air missles, if it could some how even confuse the radar guided weapons it would be even more of an advantage instead of the pilot going through evasive manuver hell. It would become the hunter who is then being hunted. Do you think they are thinking along these lines at the moment.

Rapier
  •  05-26-1999, 8:27 PM 612 in reply to 608

Re:Counter measures

*** Posted by run ***
    [Hi,

I've been thinking about the counter measures (flares & Chaff) on todays fighter aircraft. How well do they function in real combat? What if they developed a counter measure that is like a small missle and can be fired from the plane in any angle (like a gun turret). These small missles could be made to track & kill incomming missles like SAM's & Air-Air missles, if it could some how even confuse the radar guided weapons it would be even more of an advantage instead of the pilot going through evasive manuver hell. It would become the hunter who is then being hunted. Do you think they are thinking along these lines at the moment.

Rapier]

If you replace the words "small missiles" with the word "laser" you are on the right track.

A laser strong enough to shoot intercontinental ballistic missiles out of the sky was tested recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day they managed to make a selfdefence system. The lasers of today use way too much power though.

Run
  •  05-26-1999, 8:46 PM 616 in reply to 612

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi,

This is really interesting. Do you think some of the big manufacutrers of today are working on such devices. If we had a bit more technology knowledge I think this could be done, but today these large balistic interceptor lasers need to be cooled to unbelivable temps and they demand huge amounts of power. It would be cool though, imagine an AIM-20K chasing your tail in 2010 and the pilot fires a laser beam to kill the impending threat. Do you realise RUN you have thought of a good idea that is possible to use in the future, you have probably given a manufacturer good incentive to do this, if they read this message ;-)

Thanks

Rapier

[---snip---If you replace the words "small missiles" with the word "laser" you are on the right track.

A laser strong enough to shoot intercontinental ballistic missiles out of the sky was tested recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day they managed to make a selfdefence system. The lasers of today use way too much power though.

Run---snip---]
  •  05-26-1999, 9:18 PM 617 in reply to 616

*** Posted by run ***
    [Hi,

This is really interesting. Do you think some of the big manufacutrers of today are working on such devices. If we had a bit more technology knowledge I think this could be done, but today these large balistic interceptor lasers need to be cooled to unbelivable temps and they demand huge amounts of power. It would be cool though, imagine an AIM-20K chasing your tail in 2010 and the pilot fires a laser beam to kill the impending threat. Do you realise RUN you have thought of a good idea that is possible to use in the future, you have probably given a manufacturer good incentive to do this, if they read this message ;-)

Thanks

Rapier]
    They are allready working on it.
    Run
  •  05-27-1999, 8:06 PM 621 in reply to 617

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    RUN do you know what this system is called so I can find some info on it. It's a good idea but I think they will encounter some big problems in the development of this system.

Thanx

Rapier

[They are allready working on it.
    Run]
  •  05-27-1999, 8:21 PM 622 in reply to 621

*** Posted by run@jets.dk ***
    No
  •  05-27-1999, 8:30 PM 623 in reply to 622

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Ok thanx RUN, I will search.