corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Learning to fly for less than £1000 / $1660 any one know a better way?

Last post 11-14-2004, 8:46 AM by Lt.. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-17-2003, 1:19 PM 2376

Learning to fly for less than £1000 / $1660 any one know a better way?

Hi!

I know that a lot of the AVI site users are real aviation enthusiasts and many of them really want to learn to fly judging from the E-Mail I get from our airshow web site - www.airshow1.netfirms.com

Most aircraft fans think the cost of learning to fly would be just to high to even consider!

There is a way - I know because I've used it!

Its called FLPA training and basically there is a 'loop hole' (or special concession) granted by the CAA in that any aircraft which is 'foot launched' can be operated just about from any suitable site without a pilots licence.

Now before you think that an FLPA aircraft brings to mind some sort of Fred Flintstone machine.. think again..

Although you do not have a traditional undercarriage the aircraft does have retracting stabilisers / legs which support the airframe before take off and also provide landing stability.

This is a real sophisticated piece of kit which was developed and refined over the last 20 years by a Sweden team.

Technical information
    The Mosquito uses a Swedish AeroSport designed power plant and drive system which utilises an engine based on a Husquarna power plant.
    The engine will give you a climb rate of around 2 m/s (400 ft/m). A centrifugal clutch allows the propeller to stand still while the engine idles. This is a big safety factor and also reduces vibration.
    The propellor retracts / folds away during non-powered flight to maintain highest aerodynamic profile and full gliding capability.
    The transformation from glider to powered flight can be made instantly in the air using the electric start / auto decompression facility.
    Engine Controls:
    Controls all integrated into the harness
    Hand throttle on the shoulder & mouth throttle for take off - slides into the harness when not in use.
    Propeller brake & folding prop feature.
    The Wing:
    The wing component comprises of a 'Wills Wing Eagle' imported from America.
    The power plant is designed to fly with the Eagle Wing - here is some of the manufacturers
    Info' - made in California in the USA by Wills Wing
    It has remarkable handling qualities and adds the increased performance of a double surface wing. For pilots with solid, basic skills, the Eagle provides the vehicle for the most rapid, anxiety-free development of your flying ability and expansion of your flying experience. For pilots with more advanced skills and experience, the Eagle offers the maximum in effortless, purely recreational soaring enjoyment. The Eagle comes configured to be able to be flown with or without the keel mounted stabilizer, and a stabilizer is included with the glider.
    The Eagle has remarkable sink rate and climb performance, slows down exceptionally well, carries a broad range of pilot weights with excellent efficiency, and is very comfortable and confidence inspiring in turbulent air.
    Another interesting feature is - the highly tuned engine is capable of turning the propellor tips at the 'speed of sound' so it makes a distinctive droning noise in flight similar to the Harvard in this respect!.
    The aircraft is quite small and only requires a small area to display it, the wing is actually 30' span and can be taken anywhere on the roof rack of a car (folded flat) and the power unit attaches to the wing in under 5 minutes.
    With an FLPA Aircraft you have a lot of freedom to operate so long as you stay away from populated areas! you are allowed to fly it from practically any site - up in the hills or from a farmers field (with his permission) and many pilots routinely achieve
    long distance flights of over 100 miles and up to 14,000 ft altitude. The engine runs for up to 4 hours on just 20 litres of petrol! and longer flights can be achieved if the pilot uses the wing as a glider in between powered flights.

The Cost?

At the time of signing up for this package all training form Elementary Pilot Certificate
    through to FLPA (can be achieved in around 13 days training) is about £1150.
    compare this to light aircraft training at around £75 - £100 per hour!

If you go for the whole package you can get ALL training (no matter how long it take you!) plus Mosquito power plant and Falcon Wing for only £6900.

Although the insurance companies have put the pressure recently and this may have resulted in some price increases.

Visit the site www.airways-airsports.com and follow the links for training to fly the Mosquito! and all will be revealed!
  •  11-14-2004, 8:46 AM 2669 in reply to 2376

• Lt. is not online. Last active: 03-14-2005, 6:34 PM Lt.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-13-2004
    • United States of America
    • Posts 11

Re: Learning to fly for less than £1000 / $1660 any one know a better way?

I've been up a few times. So does that mean that I can buy this aircraft and just go flying? I didn't understand what your measure for money was, How much would that be in U.S currency? I'm really anxious to hear because this sounds to good to be true.    Thank you for your help

-Mike
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us