LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

stalling while pulling negative g's

Last post 04-10-2003, 1:28 PM by woopage25. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-09-2003, 11:42 PM 2251

stalling while pulling negative g's

Is this possible? A bunch of flight instructors, CFI students and CFII students were stumped today when we were all looking at a graph that if I remember right shows the relationship between stalling speed and g-forces. The Graph shows that it is possible to stall while pulling negative G's. Or maybe that the stalling speed of an aircraft becomes negative when pulling Negative g's. Can someone explain this to me? If it is possible to stall while pulling negative G's, then how could it be done? We figured that since we all fly around in C-172's, that it would be damn near impossilbe to do for us, but maybe not for fighter pilots. What about pushing the plane over to quick into a dive? Or perhaps diving fast into critical velocity, so fast the the wings cannot produce clean lift? Can someone help me out?
  •  04-10-2003, 12:10 AM 2252 in reply to 2251

Re: stalling while pulling negative g's

Not to be mean, but I find it kind of sad if your instructors couldn't explain that to you :)

You probably know that when an aircraft stalls it is because the angle of attack becomes so high that the airflow starts to separate from the top of the wing and the wing is stalling.
    When pulling negative G's, you will have negative angle of attack and this separation is just from the bottom of the wing. It is probably easiest for you to imagine this if thinking of an aircraft flying level inverted and therefore subjected to -1 G. (Every thing is just reversed)

With an asymmetrical profile the separation will happen earlier with negative G's compared to positive G's
  •  04-10-2003, 1:28 PM 2255 in reply to 2252

Re: stalling while pulling negative g's

Thats what theyt figured, but werent sure. Its kind of hard to fly inverted and level in a Cessna. But thanks for the input.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us