LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Question about airspeed!

Last post 05-21-2001, 3:34 AM by anonymous2. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-08-2001, 2:34 PM 1381

Question about airspeed!

*** Posted by Ace ***
    Can the F-16 really reach the speed of 3 Mach? If not, how fast can a Falcon get?
  •  05-09-2001, 3:40 AM 1383 in reply to 1381

Re:Question about airspeed!

*** Posted by SKY ***
    Maximum speed of F-16 is 1,319 mph (2,123km/h) at 39,370 ft (12,000 m).

[Can the F-16 really reach the speed of 3 Mach? If not, how fast can a Falcon get?]
  •  05-09-2001, 6:02 AM 1384 in reply to 1383

*** Posted by Ace ***
    Gee..thanks for answering! I guess that you are an F-16 pilot, so I would like to ask something else..
    While on TWS, your radar scans a target 10 miles ahead of you. You move the cursors over the target in order to 'bug' him or lock him with a little stick on your throttle, isn't that right? And when you place the cursors over him, what do you press in order to designate him? Thanks again for your attention, and I hope you will respond again!
    [Maximum speed of F-16 is 1,319 mph (2,123km/h) at 39,370 ft (12,000 m).

Can the F-16 really reach the speed of 3 Mach? If not, how fast can a Falcon get?]
  •  05-19-2001, 3:06 AM 1408 in reply to 1384

*** Posted by SKY ***
    For this discussion,
    it is assumed that the intent is to acquire some turning room (offset) to complete a conversion turn to the
    target's beam or stern. There are six steps in the baseline intercept:
    · Get on the CATA until 20 miles.
    · Get some offset at 20 miles.
    · Get a speed advantage.
    · Monitor aspect.
    · Go single target track (STT) at 10 miles.
    · Go pure pursuit at 120° aspect (6 - 8 NM range for a high aspect setup).
    CATA Until 20 Miles. The easiest method of getting on the CATA requires the radar to track the
    target (STT, SAM, or TWS tracked target). Simply turn toward the intercept steering symbol, or steering
    cross, until it is centered at 0° azimuth. The target is on the CATA when the cross is centered (Figure
    4.65).
    Offset at 20 Miles. Getting horizontal offset, or horizontal turning room, requires analysis of the
    target's aspect angle. The aspect angle is most accurately read from the MFD, although the aspect symbol
    in the HUD is also useful. In this discussion, it is assumed that the fighter has kept the target on the
    CATA until 20 NM, and then takes the following action:
    · If aspect angle is more than 120°, turn to displace the target 40° - 50° off the nose (40° - 50° from
    center of the MFD). Which direction to turn is a common question for beginners!
    · If aspect says "right" (e.g., 160R), turn to put target on the right side of the MFD.
    · Look at the aspect caret in the HUD. If it is right of center, turn right, and if it is left of center, turn
    left.
    · Look at the aspect readout in the MFD. Turn opposite of the letter at the end of the aspect readout
    (e.g., if the aspect says "15R," turn "L" or left).

[Gee..thanks for answering! I guess that you are an F-16 pilot, so I would like to ask something else..
    While on TWS, your radar scans a target 10 miles ahead of you. You move the cursors over the target in order to 'bug' him or lock him with a little stick on your throttle, isn't that right? And when you place the cursors over him, what do you press in order to designate him? Thanks again for your attention, and I hope you will respond again!

Can the F-16 really reach the speed of 3 Mach? If not, how fast can a Falcon get?]
  •  05-21-2001, 3:34 AM 1413 in reply to 1408

*** Posted by Ace ***
    Wow!!You guys sure are the coolest!I never expected to get such an answer! Thanks a lot and be sure that if I ever have another question, I surely will ask you! Fly safe!
    [For this discussion,
    it is assumed that the intent is to acquire some turning room (offset) to complete a conversion turn to the
    target's beam or stern. There are six steps in the baseline intercept:
    · Get on the CATA until 20 miles.
    · Get some offset at 20 miles.
    · Get a speed advantage.
    · Monitor aspect.
    · Go single target track (STT) at 10 miles.
    · Go pure pursuit at 120° aspect (6 - 8 NM range for a high aspect setup).
    CATA Until 20 Miles. The easiest method of getting on the CATA requires the radar to track the
    target (STT, SAM, or TWS tracked target). Simply turn toward the intercept steering symbol, or steering
    cross, until it is centered at 0° azimuth. The target is on the CATA when the cross is centered (Figure
    4.65).
    Offset at 20 Miles. Getting horizontal offset, or horizontal turning room, requires analysis of the
    target's aspect angle. The aspect angle is most accurately read from the MFD, although the aspect symbol
    in the HUD is also useful. In this discussion, it is assumed that the fighter has kept the target on the
    CATA until 20 NM, and then takes the following action:
    · If aspect angle is more than 120°, turn to displace the target 40° - 50° off the nose (40° - 50° from
    center of the MFD). Which direction to turn is a common question for beginners!
    · If aspect says "right" (e.g., 160R), turn to put target on the right side of the MFD.
    · Look at the aspect caret in the HUD. If it is right of center, turn right, and if it is left of center, turn
    left.
    · Look at the aspect readout in the MFD. Turn opposite of the letter at the end of the aspect readout
    (e.g., if the aspect says "15R," turn "L" or left).

Gee..thanks for answering! I guess that you are an F-16 pilot, so I would like to ask something else..

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us