LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Wild Weasel?

Last post 11-07-2000, 4:58 PM by anonymous2. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-29-1999, 3:15 PM 671

Wild Weasel?

*** Posted by Melvin ***
    Hi guys! GREAT site!
    I wanna ask you guys whether you know the details of the Wild Weasel Equipment on the F-16C/D. I noticed this accesory is only found on USAF, IsraelAF, and Republic of Singapore Air Force. What's the exact function of this equipment? Anyway, I'm from Singapore, nice to meet you guys!
  •  05-29-1999, 9:33 PM 672 in reply to 671

Re:Wild Weasel?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hello Melvin,

I am not sure exactly what you mean about Wild Weasel Eqiptment on the F-16 c/d. Do you mean what type of weapons/armament would be suited for a typical Wild Weasel mission, or are you refering to a typical system that is being used by these airforces? If you could elaborate a bit more I am sure we all could help you some how.

Nice to meet you to!

Rapier

I wanna ask you guys whether you know the details of the Wild Weasel Equipment on the F-16C/D. I noticed this accesory is only found on USAF, IsraelAF, etc]
  •  05-29-1999, 9:34 PM 673 in reply to 671

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hello Melvin,

I am not sure exactly what you mean about Wild Weasel Eqiptment on the F-16 c/d. Do you mean what type of weapons/armament would be suited for a typical Wild Weasel mission, or are you refering to a typical system that is being used by these airforces? If you could elaborate a bit more I am sure we all could help you some how.

Nice to meet you to!

Rapier

[I wanna ask you guys whether you know the details of the Wild Weasel Equipment on the F-16C/D. I noticed this accesory is only found on USAF, IsraelAF, etc]
  •  05-30-1999, 12:24 PM 676 in reply to 673

*** Posted by Melvin ***
    Hi Rapier,
    Nice nick...WOW. Reminds me of those mighty SAMs near my home!
    Okay, I'm referring to an unclassified equipment fitted on the tail of the F-16C/D.
    These Falcons fitted with these equipment have the CJ/DJ designation. According to what I know this is the Wild Weasel SEAD Option for the F-16C/D. But I do not know exactly how it operates, and it's functions. Basically only three countries own planes with this equipment, that is USAF, IAF and RSAF(Republic of Singapore Air Force)
    Just hope to find out more, hope you can help.
  •  05-30-1999, 5:08 PM 678 in reply to 676

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi & thank you for the compliment,

I will try to find out some info for you regarding this, RUN will probably have some info on this for you to, but I am not sure if the RDAF uses this as well. Are you talking about the targeting pod for weapons deployment on a typical SEAD mission?

Regards

Rapier
  •  05-30-1999, 5:53 PM 679 in reply to 676

LANTRIN?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hello again,

I think I understand what you are refering to now. A typical Wild Weasel mission does induce the use of such devices, some already attached to the F-16 some can be attached & removed at will, but preperation of Wild Weasel missions is important, especially when gathering electronic order of battle information. The pilot must make sure everything is callibrated (weapons, ECM, targeting systems otherwise you'll get caught with your pants down) well before he leaves the base for a W-W mission. The LANTRIN includes a navigation pod (NVP) & a targeting pod (TGP) and weighs about 500 lb's. The LANTRIN helps aquire target's and allows weapons deployment (can also work in Low level light conditions). I think there is a radar receiver at the tail of the F-16 which basically listen's and picks up more intelligence in the target area so targets can be passed on to wing and other packages. They can subsequently be taken out quit easily. I think that it is also intergrated into the ECM some how but I am not sure about this.

Regards

Rapier
  •  05-30-1999, 5:53 PM 680 in reply to 676

LANTRIN?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hello again,

I think I understand what you are refering to now. A typical Wild Weasel mission does induce the use of such devices, some already attached to the F-16 some can be attached & removed at will, but preperation of Wild Weasel missions is important, especially when gathering electronic order of battle information. The pilot must make sure everything is callibrated (weapons, ECM, targeting systems otherwise you'll get caught with your pants down) well before he leaves the base for a W-W mission. The LANTRIN includes a navigation pod (NVP) & a targeting pod (TGP) and weighs about 500 lb's. The LANTRIN helps aquire target's and allows weapons deployment (can also work in Low level light conditions). I think there is a radar receiver at the tail of the F-16 which basically listen's and picks up more intelligence in the target area so targets can be passed on to wing and other packages. They can subsequently be taken out quit easily. I think that it is also intergrated into the ECM some how but I am not sure about this.

Regards

Rapier
  •  05-30-1999, 10:33 PM 681 in reply to 676

ALQ-119 ECM..?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Melvin,

Now I have been doing some more research for you and I think I know what your on about now. The F16's you mentioned are a special version in some ways, they carry the ALQ-119 (there are other versions of this pod) Electronic Jamming Pod for self protection. They basically work by towing them at a desired distance from the rear (they are fitted at the rear) of the aircraft and they send out a radar signal that is similar to a threat aircraft, except it is stronger that the F-16's so if a missle is fired it has more chance of hitting the trailing pod than the Aircraft. It's become something which is a good concept and is sure to be a standard feature of future Aircraft such as the F22. It is mostly used for SEAD missions & I think it has been developed by Raytheon, it works very well.

I hope this helps.

Rapier
  •  10-31-2000, 9:44 AM 1237 in reply to 681

Re:ALQ-119 ECM..?

*** Posted by Rick ***
    Hi all;

I serviced ALQ-119s in the USAF. Unless Westinghouse put winglets on them, you're not going to tow them behind anything. They are usually mounted inboard, or on the F-4 they were often stored in a foward point udner and behind the cockpit on modified F4-s. 119s would be a good choice for Wild Weasel missions, being fairly specific to SAM launch sites. Little of their electronics would easily lend itself to being a target drone, especially the aerodynamics (more like a brick than an F-4). I suspect anything towed behind an F-16 is either a magnetometer (very unlikely), or a specific drone pod. 119s were awfully expensive to use for target practice. Much easier to use a simple repeater for practice.

ps- I don't know how much 119 info is declassified. I'd assume none still. So I've basically told you all I can, since even my training material was restricted. Further questions I'd entertain, respecting security concerns.

Rick

[Hi Melvin,

Now I have been doing some more research for you and I think I know what your on about now. The F16's you mentioned are a special version in some ways, they carry the ALQ-119 (there are other versions of this pod) Electronic Jamming Pod for self protection. They basically work by towing them at a desired distance from the rear (they are fitted at the rear) of the aircraft and they send out a radar signal that is similar to a threat aircraft, except it is stronger that the F-16's so if a missle is fired it has more chance of hitting the trailing pod than the Aircraft. It's become something which is a good concept and is sure to be a standard feature of future Aircraft such as the F22. It is mostly used for SEAD missions & I think it has been developed by Raytheon, it works very well.

I hope this helps.

Rapier]
  •  11-07-2000, 4:58 PM 1242 in reply to 1237

Re:ALQ-119 ECM..?

*** Posted by RapierWon ***
    Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info! Dont worry security issues will be respected. ;-)

Kind Regards

RapierWon
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved