LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Cluster bombs. Amazing!

Last post 02-25-2003, 8:05 PM by JakeC. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-19-1999, 9:00 PM 517

Cluster bombs. Amazing!

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi guys,

I've just seen some footage of a cluster bomb causing some devistation, amazing it looks a bit like a wild firework. Have you ever had the pleasure of blowing something to bit's RUN?

Rapier
  •  05-19-1999, 10:43 PM 525 in reply to 517

Re:Cluster bombs. Amazing!

*** Posted by run ***
    [Hi guys,
    I've just seen some footage of a cluster bomb causing some devistation, amazing it looks a bit like a wild firework. Have you ever had the pleasure of blowing something to bit's RUN?
    Rapier]
    I haven't dropped any cluster bombs, but I've dropped GP bombs (Mk82,Mk84) shot rockets (FFAR & CRV7) used the gun a lot and fired a couple of missiles.
    RUN
  •  05-20-1999, 12:17 AM 529 in reply to 525

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    [
    I haven't dropped any cluster bombs, but I've dropped GP bombs (Mk82,Mk84) shot rockets (FFAR & CRV7) used the gun a lot and fired a couple of missiles.
    RUN]

Hi,

Live ammo with the bombs and rockets? How well did you do with the gun? In Falcon 4 the Vulcan fires very rapidly so I have found you have to be pretty accurate. When I'm bombing in Falcon RUN I have some difficulties. I'm about 15 miles out from the target and I place the bomb fall line over the target ready for a dive toss using CCRP. The solution cue comes down the HUD ready to give me the cue to toss the bomb/s. I pickle the target when I get the cue to toss the bombs and sometimes they dont release. Is this some kind of system to tell me I will miss the target so the computer says no you cant release because you will miss.

Any advice welcome.

Rapier
  •  05-20-1999, 2:23 AM 533 in reply to 529

*** Posted by run ***
    [Hi,

Live ammo with the bombs and rockets? How well did you do with the gun? In Falcon 4 the Vulcan fires very rapidly so I have found you have to be pretty accurate. When I'm bombing in Falcon RUN I have some difficulties. I'm about 15 miles out from the target and I place the bomb fall line over the target ready for a dive toss using CCRP. The solution cue comes down the HUD ready to give me the cue to toss the bomb/s. I pickle the target when I get the cue to toss the bombs and sometimes they dont release. Is this some kind of system to tell me I will miss the target so the computer says no you cant release because you will miss.

Any advice welcome.

Rapier]

The gun is my favorite discipline in air to ground, so I do quite well with it. When you shoot you want to keep the bursts down to 30-50 rounds which means less than 0.5 secs.

When you bomb in CCRP (Continiously Computed Release Point) you have to push the button well before the cue comes down & hold it down until the cue comes down to the fpm which will release the bombs.

RUN
  •  05-20-1999, 3:03 AM 540 in reply to 533

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hej RUN, (my Danish improving already)

Thanks for the advice I'll try it and see what happens.

Rapier

[---snip---
    The gun is my favorite discipline in air to ground, so I do quite well with it. When you shoot you want to keep the bursts down to 30-50 rounds which means less than 0.5 secs.

When you bomb in CCRP (Continiously Computed Release Point) you have to push the button well before the cue comes down & hold it down until the cue comes down to the fpm which will release the bombs.

RUN---snip---]
  •  05-23-1999, 2:38 AM 587 in reply to 525

rockets vs. missiles

*** Posted by Kim Nielsen ***

I haven't dropped any cluster bombs, but I've .... shot rockets (FFAR & CRV7) ....and fired a couple of missiles.
    RUN]

Just for the reference:
    Where lies the difference between rockets and missiles?

Kim
  •  05-23-1999, 3:50 PM 594 in reply to 587

Re:rockets vs. missiles

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Kim,

I think the difference between rockets and missles is that they are similar but rockets are primarily used for ground attacks and missles for Air-Air combat like the AMRAMM and AIM missles. Rockets can very damaging to artillery etc as they carry high explosive (armour piercing in some cases like the apache gunship uses) warheads so they are quite leathal. The disadvantage for the pilot though kim is that he/she can be left in a slightly vulnerable position when making an attack so the pilot must be fairly accurate and come in quite fast.

Regards

Rapier, Good to hear from you by the way!

[Just for the reference:

Kim]
  •  05-24-1999, 5:55 PM 600 in reply to 594

*** Posted by Spectre ***
    Missiles: 'intelligent' rockets, i.e., usually guided.

Rockets: 'dumb' rounds, usually fly in unguided and in a straight line...

Spectre

[Hi Kim,

I think the difference between rockets and missles is that they are similar but rockets are primarily used for ground attacks and missles for Air-Air combat like the AMRAMM and AIM missles. Rockets can very damaging to artillery etc as they carry high explosive (armour piercing in some cases like the apache gunship uses) warheads so they are quite leathal. The disadvantage for the pilot though kim is that he/she can be left in a slightly vulnerable position when making an attack so the pilot must be fairly accurate and come in quite fast.

Regards

Rapier, Good to hear from you by the way!

Just for the reference:

Kim]
  •  05-24-1999, 11:41 PM 601 in reply to 600

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi,

I think the apache has a type of rocket that is guided slightly but no by a big margin, I would say you still have to line the caret on the target, roughly. I think these are the inteligent rockets like you were refering to.

Rapier

[Missiles: 'intelligent' rockets, i.e., usually guided.

Rockets: 'dumb' rounds, usually fly in unguided and in a straight line...

Spectre]

•  05-25-1999, 12:54 AM 604 in reply to 587

*** Posted by RUN ***
    As somebody else mentionened on this forum:

Missiles are guided, rockets are not. It doesn't matter weather it's Air-Air or Air-Ground.

RUN
    [Just for the reference:

Kim]
  •  05-26-1999, 2:45 AM 607 in reply to 604

Re:rockets

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi all,

I think it's about time they developed guided rockets (smart rockets) it would increase the chances of hitting the target, or would it, smart weapons have been known to go astray. What do you guy's think?

Rapier
  •  05-26-1999, 8:14 PM 610 in reply to 607

*** Posted by run ***

Well I guess it wouldn't be rockets then ;o)

Or I guess you could say that a Maverick is a big guided "rocket" ;o)

Run

[Hi all,

I think it's about time they developed guided rockets (smart rockets) it would increase the chances of hitting the target, or would it, smart weapons have been known to go astray. What do you guy's think?

Rapier]
  •  05-26-1999, 8:34 PM 613 in reply to 610

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi,

They could still be called rockets even though todays rockets are dumb, theoretically speaking all rockets fly in a straight line but they are guided in some way by the targeting computer & pilot of say the F-16, so they are not totally dumb they just follow orders from the pilot, but todays rockets have not advanced much from the days of WWII, possibly in materials used etc but the principle is still the same. I was thinking it would be great if the rockets were slightly aided to the target to keep the pilot in the combat area for the least amount of time.

Regarding Mavericks, it's obviously a question of how much ordinance the F-16 can take. I suppose it is a big guided rocket in some way but the plane and pilot will only have a limited amount to carry. In a mission it's up to the pilot to choose, if precision attacks are called for I would recomend mavericks, it strafing a convoy I would definitely use rockets.

I am very interested to find out about weapons of the future.

Thanks

Rapier ;-)

[
    Well I guess it wouldn't be rockets then ;o)

Or I guess you could say that a Maverick is a big guided "rocket" ;o)

Run]
  •  05-26-1999, 8:41 PM 615 in reply to 613

*** Posted by run ***
    Hi Rapier. Press here: <A HREF="http://www.jets.dk/chat/" TARGET="_blank">Press here: </A>
  •  11-12-2002, 7:29 PM 2049 in reply to 607

Re: Re:rockets

Hey Rapier,

There a certain kinds of cluster bombs in which the individual bomblets have sesors of some kind that allow the indiviual bomblets to home in on individual targets. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's pretty cool.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us