LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Searching for 1937 Lockheed Electra 12A N-18137 s/n 1229

Last post 02-25-2008, 2:47 PM by chuchoteur. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-18-2003, 8:06 PM 2404

Searching for 1937 Lockheed Electra 12A N-18137 s/n 1229

Hello!

Does anyone know where this plane is? Or who owns it? I have located the supposed last owners, but have not heard from them, a large AeroSpace Corp. I think the plane may have been sold several years ago when Pratt and Whitney, whom owned it was bought out.

The Plane was last spotted at an airshow by famed vintage plane photographer Dick Phillips in 1988. The plane is supposedly airworthy and currently registered.

Does anyone know if Pratt and Whitney has a private airplane museum somewhere??

Hope to hear some responses..........

•  01-08-2004, 11:38 AM 2413 in reply to 2404

Re: Searching for 1937 Lockheed Electra 12A N-18137 s/n 1229

To see a photo of this Lockheed Electra 12A Registration Number N-18137, Jack and Helen Frye's personal plane, while Jack was president of TWA, please click on this link:

http://www.geocities.com/sedonalegendhelenfrye

Perhaps some of you might recognize this famous plane and might be able to let me know where it is today, or anything you might know about it.

Thanks,
    Webmaster for: Sedonalegendhelenfrye
  •  01-25-2004, 7:15 PM 2424 in reply to 2413

N-number : N18137
    Aircraft Serial Number : 1229
    Aircraft Manufacturer : LOCKHEED
    Model : 12A
    Engine Manufacturer : P&W
    Model : R-985 SERIES
    Aircraft Year : 1937
    Owner Name : CENCO INC
    Owner Address : PO BOX 7639
    HIGH POINT, NC, 27264-7639
    Type of Owner : Corporation
    Registration Date : 20-Apr-1993
    Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
  •  01-26-2004, 12:45 AM 2425 in reply to 2424

I appreciate the information, even though I already have all of it. I have written to the owners, but am yet to receive a response. I suspect they may have sold the plane when the company went through a buy-out recently. An interesting bit of trivia, Cenco is also Pratt and Whitney: the famous airplane manufacturer, I thought it was intriquing that they would own this plane. Perhaps they have a collection of planes with there engines on them? However, just because FAA records still show them as the owners, doesn't mean they still have it. Cenco has been absorbed by another company and no longer exists.
  •  10-28-2005, 7:36 PM 3096 in reply to 2404

UPDATE!

Thank you, for all your interesting comments on Jack Frye and his Lockheed Electra 12A. The whole saga has now come full circle. The full history of the plane can be found on this new page:

http://www.sedonalegendhelenfrye.com/page19

The plane was indeed "officially," a TWA Flight Research Laboratory, NC-18137. But it served a dual purpose as an executive plane and was used regularly by Jack Frye, long serving-TWA President, (one of the original 3 founders) of TWA. The plane was purchased in 1937 by Continental, (former Varney Speedways.) It was used as a passenger transport for 3 years by Continental Airlines. TWA subsequently bought the plane in 1940 and sold it in 1945. The plane was named "Research." Jack was instrumental in maintaining a top-notch flight research program for TWA, (something close to his heart,) many of TWA's breakthroughs are still benefiting our modern day airlines. This plane, in beautiful condition and very much air-worthy, has recently sold. A dear friend of mine purchased it, (Ruth Richter, daughter of Paul Richter, Executive Vice-President, (also one of the three original founders,) of TWA. Paul regularly flew the Lockheed 12A NC-18137, "Research," as well. I recently flew in this marvelous Lockheed Electra over the southern California coast. An incredible experience I assure you! The plane is a wonderful testament to the glory days of air-travel. The engines just purred, never missing a beat! One of the highlights of my life!

In 1945, TWA obtained another plane which was also used as a Flight Research Laboratory/Executive Transport. This beautiful Lockheed, Serial number #2170, NC-33604, was a Lockheed Lodestar, Model 18. It was reserved for Jack Frye, who flew it frequently as an executive airliner, transporting many V.I.P.'s. Howard Hughes, too, used it, as well as Paul Richter, and many TWA test pilots. Where is the plane now? That remains to be discovered. Last heard of, it was owned by a company called (B and H Industries in Akron Ohio.) But even though the company and plane have vaporized...........I have hope, like the 12A, it will be re-discovered. Purchased and restored.

Please note Daniel Peterkin of Howard Aircraft, and Morton Salt Corp. (father founded) owned the plane from 1954 to about 1963. 

Any comments will be appreciated.....

Thank you,

http://www.sedonalegendhelenfrye.com

Randall Reynolds, author/webmaster for
    "The Jack and Helen Frye Story!
  •  06-15-2006, 7:49 PM 3428 in reply to 2404

i know, it is outside my house, on the back yard. it got sold to the wangaratta airshow. and then my farther restored it and i flew in it in april. it now has red carpet and the toilet has been taken out. but other than that (and a few new parts to keep it from crashing) it is the same as always. Big Smile

note my screen name (iflewinthelockheed) hope we r all talking about silver city.

we keep it in goodcondition, it is my fathers pide and glory. he has several other planes

•  06-15-2006, 9:35 PM 3429 in reply to 3428

with these planes he has won a few races and the lockeed is still his pride. And he is building abother plane.
  •  08-20-2006, 1:29 PM 3547 in reply to 3429

Could you tell me what the Serial Number of your Lockheed is, and what model it is?

Thanks, Randall

Creator and Webmaster of the following non-profit TWA Historic Websites:
    Sedona Legend Helen Frye
    The
    Jack and Helen Frye Story
    (Jack Frye, founder and long-time president of T.W.A.)

Jack Frye TWA Legend
    Paul Richter
    TWA Legend
    Walter Hamilton
    TWA Legend

Jack Frye
    Foundation Website

E-Mail:
    admin@sedonalegendhelenfrye.com

•  02-25-2008, 2:47 PM 5240 in reply to 3547

I am actually looking to purchase a Lockheed Electra, L10 through L12 variants, in either flying condition or restorable to Airworthy condition.

would you know of the location of any suitable airframes/engines?

Regards,

Raphael

chuchoteur@yahoo.com

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home