LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Military Flight Jackets

Last post 05-18-2003, 11:01 PM by raptor22. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-07-2002, 4:48 AM 2040

Military Flight Jackets

What I would like to know is, what kind do they use?..

Like I have seen some places that say things about the MA-1 being a like a UASF flight jacket. But when I asked about it on a diff fourm, they said something diff. Here is what one person said about it..

<i>The MA-1 jacket is not a current-issue item, at least not in the USAF flying world. The current summer-weight green Nomex jacket is the CWU-36/P. You can tell the difference in the collar and the pocket flaps. The MA-1 has a knit collar while the 36/P has a fold-down Nomex collar. The MA-1 pockets are snapped down while 36/Ps have velcro flap attachments. Additionally, MA-1s were traditionally made of Nylon, while 36/Ps (and their winter weight counterparts, the CWU-45/P) are made of Nomex (or Aramid). </i>

I would like to try to get my hands on something that a really pilot for the military has wearn or would be issued. I have seen MA-1 on ebay and some of then have UASF on there tag in one of the pockets But then I get that guy telling me something diff. I then got on there and have seen some of those green Nomex jacket he said something about. I just would like to have some info about it. What a real USAF/Naval military pilot would use for a flight jacket.
  •  11-07-2002, 7:26 AM 2041 in reply to 2040

Re: Military Flight Jackets

The person is correct. I have not seen anybody in USAF wear the nylon version with the knit collar in the last 10 years I am a Danish pilot and when I was a student (In USAF) in 92 we got the nomex version and now that I am an instructor in USAF we still get the nomex version. It wouldn't make sence at all for an aircrew to wear a nylon jacket. It wouldn't protect you in a fire - more the opposite - be a death trap.
  •  11-07-2002, 7:36 PM 2042 in reply to 2041

Thank you for your help run.
    Could you give me a hand trying to find out about the sizes?. You see I am trying to see if I could get my self one of both those flight jackets. The CWU-45/P for the winter and CWU-36/P for summer. But dont know what type of size I would need. I am 5'4 125 lbs. Any help here with a size and if its even possible to be able to get them...

Thanks agian..
  •  05-18-2003, 11:01 PM 2279 in reply to 2042

Kick,

I wear a medium (38-40) in the CWU-45/P and am 5'11'' and 155lbs. The jacket at this size fits me perfectly, so I would suggest that you go with the small size. This is a great jacket, wear it with pride!
    Glad to have been of any help.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us