LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Rudders

Last post 12-31-1999, 1:18 PM by anonymous2. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-31-1999, 1:04 AM 1033

Rudders

*** Posted by Phantom ***
    The reason i use the rudders is so i can maneuver better at slow speeds. Once you start maneuvering for a kill at short ranges, the jet will idle down to 150 knots allowing the use of the rudders, but like i said before i can't use them. It seems that the only time it allows me to use them is when i am landing or like you said taxing the runway.
  •  12-31-1999, 10:39 AM 1034 in reply to 1033

Re:Rudders

*** Posted by run ***
    Hi

Like I said, unlike any other aircraft you don't use rudder in slow speed dogfight in the F16. As a matter of fact the rudder can't be used in slow speed, high AOA flights. The computer simply locks it out so it doesn't move above a certain AOA.

run
    [The reason i use the rudders is so i can maneuver better at slow speeds. Once you start maneuvering for a kill at short ranges, the jet will idle down to 150 knots allowing the use of the rudders, but like i said before i can't use them. It seems that the only time it allows me to use them is when i am landing or like you said taxing the runway.]
  •  12-31-1999, 12:08 PM 1035 in reply to 1034

*** Posted by sgtphantom ***
    [Hi

Like I said, unlike any other aircraft you don't use rudder in slow speed dogfight in the F16. As a matter of fact the rudder can't be used in slow speed, high AOA flights. The computer simply locks it out so it doesn't move above a certain AOA.

run
    The reason i use the rudders is so i can maneuver better at slow speeds. Once you start maneuvering for a kill at short ranges, the jet will idle down to 150 knots allowing the use of the rudders, but like i said before i can't use them. It seems that the only time it allows me to use them is when i am landing or like you said taxing the runway.]

Roger. gotcha. I knew that the computer usually takes over when the AOA is pegged at 30 degees or -5 degrees inverted, but I thought it would alloy me use them. My mistake. Thanks for your help. I just thought that was strange. LOL
  •  12-31-1999, 1:18 PM 1036 in reply to 1033

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Phantom,

It's not really a good idea to use the rudders at all in a dogfight, at 500 knt's it would'nt be much use really and if it did move it would only create a little more drag and slow you down further meaning loss of important energy that you could have used to pull another manuver and thus save your ass.

At 500-600 Knt's I dont think the rudder would be able to move that much. If you had to do it manually like in an older aircraft you would need very strong legs but these days the computer will not really allow you to use the rudder as it's not needed in that situation. Mainly for taxing (little effect also as it's really the leading gear that steer's the aircraft like a car) or at slow speeds like pulling out of a dead-stall or for landing.

Regards

Rapier
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved