ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
Search  

Re: ARM OUR PILOTS NOW!

•  09-11-2006, 6:36 PM

Re: ARM OUR PILOTS NOW!

Wow.  Even when a simple common sense decision is made there's always someone to push forward an agenda that benefits nobody.

Now I am not even going to comment on whether or not air crew should or shouldn't be armed.  What I can't fathom is why would you arm the pilot or right seat? Lets consider all possible scenarios for a second....

The cockpit is breached -- the pilot has to turn aroud in his seat and attempt to shoot backwards at the assailant.  If the hijacker doesn't kill him before this gymnastic feat we hope the pilot pivoting doesn't fire and knock off one of the first class passengers.

There is a hijacking so the Captain takes his weapon, leaves the 'secure' cockpit and exposes himself to harm (generally pilots are considered to be among the most important people on a plane and with very few exceptions we try to keep them alive).  Now the armed pilot is at risk, the second pilot is at risk while the doorway is opened (twice), and you are exposing the cockpit to additional risk.

Terrorists take or are successfuly taking an aircraft.  It is believed their intent is for it to be flown to a populated area and kaboom.  The aircrew have no reason to believe or presume that any of the terrorists can fly.  The correct thing to do is take any action necessarry to disable the pilots.  Now while one or to  heroic pilots may shoot themselves to get the point across we can hardly expect that of anyone.  So a stewardess does the correct thing and takes a steak knife and tries to incapacitate a pilot carrying a loaded weapon -- I think he would object.

So while I am all for properly trained air marshalls and then only in conjunction with proper screening as opposed to the current nonsense, arming the pilot puts everyone at much greater risk.  It is hard for many Americans to grasp but being armed does not directly correlae to being safer.  If you have to write silly letters to politicians why not suggest arming the pursors? Then your cockpit (and its occupants) are recieving the maximum security possible and should the pilots need to be disabled cabin crew have an additional tool should it be needed.
View Complete Thread
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us