ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
Search  

Re: F-16XL and F/A-18E comparison

•  12-03-2004, 4:52 PM

Re: F-16XL and F/A-18E comparison

>>"Nope!! Not the case with the F16. The problem is not the weapons themselves, but the stores they are carried on. They can't take the same stress. It is very easy to overstress them even given the high weight of the aircraft."<<

Yowsa!!!  That makes for a lousy "strike" fighter in my opinion.  Your pylons are the weak link in the chain?!  What happens when you carry a Sparow or an AMRAAM on a wing station?  Are you g limited due to the pylon?  What about a Mk 82 or heaven forbid a Mk 84 bomb on the wing?  Are you G limited due to the pylon?

>>"Again the F16 is different. The F16 (Block 15 MLU) has the EXACT same maximum allowable GW for ground handling, taxi, takeoff, in flight, and landing (35,400 pounds)"<<

Interesting.  The F-16C blocks 25 thru 32 must be different.  Per the dash 1 (T.O 1F-16C-1) section 5, Operating Limitations, the max T/O wt is 41,890 lbs and max landing wt is 37,500 lbs.  I don't have the applicable dash 1 for the block 40 and 50 F-16s, but my understanding is that the max T/O wt is increased, but the max landing wt remains at 37,500.  The block 60 (aka F-16E) is supposed to go all the way up to 50,000 lbs for T/O, with the same 37,500 lb max landing wt.  The landing gear and brakes have been beefed up to handle the extra wt, but the wing can still only handle so much down bending moment.

I'm more famiiliar with Navy fighters, which have very different max takeoff and max landing wts.  But EVERY landing in a Navy fighter is a "hard landing" so I guess that's understandable.  Navy fighters also don't have pylons with G restrictions.  I guess that comes from being able to be catapulted off the carrier with a max load.  But the max landing wt limitation can be a real problem in the Navy.  It reduces "bring back."  To get back aboard the carrier, early Hornets too often had to jettison unexpended munitions.  One of the big selling points of the SuperHornet was a doubling of the "bring back". 
View Complete Thread
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us