ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
Search  

Re: Please Help! HS Senior in Distress

•  01-22-2003, 9:45 PM

Re: Please Help! HS Senior in Distress

First, addressing the where to go issue. The graduating class of 2002 at the Air Force Academy had 584 (or so) people physically qualified for pilot training and that wanted to go. When the assignments came down 6 months before graduation, there were 545 pilot training slots. That's 93% of PQ (Pilot Qualified) getting pilot training slots. Even during that 6 months, due to people being physically disqualified for various reasons or deciding not to take their slots, almost every single person that was physically qualified received a pilot training slot. Yes, 545 slots is only half the class, but only half the class is typically PQ.

That said, I am a graduate of the AFA from 2002. I'm in pilot training. I finished T-37 primary training last December with T-38 (fighter follow-on) my first choice. Pulling G's and flying formation and upside down is a serious adrenaline ride. Well, I received my second choice secondary training, the T-1. The T-1 tracks into "heavy" aircraft. I was disappointed that I didn't have the opportunity to go the fighter track, but you know what? There's some awesome missions on the heavy side of the house too.

The T-1 is sweet. Awesome jet. The C-17. A "heavy." It flies a 6 degree glidepath on final (normal aircraft fly 2.5 - 3 degree glidepaths). It can land and stop at 300,000 lbs gross weight in 3,000 feet. That's roughly equivalent to stopping a Cessna 172 in 100 feet. The C-5. Largest operational airlifter in the world. Absolutely amazing. The KC-10. Carries 2x its weight in fuel and cargo. And on and on. There's benefits and drawbacks to every airframe in the inventory.

Being a fighter pilot. Awesome. Truly. From having the chance to fly a few F-16s, real life, not a sim, it's an awesome job. There's nothing like pulling G's or flying 3 feet from another jet. I'd love to be doing it, but I love what I'm doing now. In fact, I don't recall meeting anyone ever that did not enjoy flying the airframe(s) they flew.

Navy flying. I don't know much, but I know that most of the Navy pilots are helicopter and other airframe pilots. The fighter pilot community there is small also. And it's not really "fighter" per se. It's Attack/Strike. It's power projection, not fleet defense.

Base location. Whatever. Don't forget Guam, Aviano, Lakenheath, Spang, and other bases. There are nice AF bases. There are crappy Navy bases. Whatever. You're flying, that's all that matters. Holloman and Kirtland are both nice bases. You're flying, your high school buddies aren't.

Becoming an astronaut. More astronauts have come from Oklahoma than any other state. Well, does that mean anything? No, neither does what school you went to. If you want to be an astronaut, you have to have the personal drive to constantly work toward your goal, even when you're not feeling like it. When you could be partying with friends, you study, you prepare. Yes, there's time to party, but always follow your goal first. Personal drive is more important than anything else in achieving your goals.

Your decision on which Academy to choose. I think the decision was made with misinformation. It may still be the right decision, I am no judge of that. But I think you could have been more informed before deciding. Lesson learned...seek out knowledge like you did with this post and embrace it with an open mind. It will serve you well throughout life.

Whenever I'm home, my IM is up. Shoot me a message if you want to talk more about this stuff. I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the AFA, UPT, and related stuff. Rainmans6T9 is my screen name. This goes for anyone with questions on the AFA, the AF, UPT, or other flying related questions.
View Complete Thread
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us