AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
Search  

Re:ARM OUR PILOTS NOW!

•  05-22-2002, 7:48 AM

Re:ARM OUR PILOTS NOW!

*** Posted by Michael Judah ***
    Dear Captain Ponder,
    I can understand your concern, we all can, but unfortunately arming Pilots will not solve or prevent these horrible attacks. Furthermore it just might make it easier for the terrorists to hijack Airliners since they would not have to carry any arms on board, therefore eliminating the possibility of there early detection.

Training A Pilot or any other person for that matter to use a weapon with great expertise takes many months and requires constant training in order to maintain the skill. This would be highly costly and would create extra workload on the already overloaded Pilots.

While Piloting an airliner you are totally concentrated with your work, faced towards the gages and instruments of the airplane and with your back towards the cabin door. I doubt you would be able to defend your self from the terrorist coming behind you, especially not with a gun. If you had been lucky you would have managed to struggle with the terrorist risking a bullet hole in the sensitive fuselage.

In my opinion a marshal would solve the problem or at least reduce greatly the danger, allowing the Pilot and crew to continue with their skilled jobs and putting in ease the minds of all passengers.

Best Regards,
    Michael Judah
    Commercial Pilot

Please post your comments at
    http://www.COMPILOTS.com
View Complete Thread
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services