LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Medical Certificate Dilemna

Last post 08-17-2007, 3:50 AM by Cirrusflyer. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-24-2006, 2:00 PM 3509

Medical Certificate Dilemna

Hi everyone, I've been learning to fly a Cessna 152 single prop and I have accumulated 11 hours flight time. Months ago, I went in for my physical to obtain my medical certificate and during this process, the FAA discovered that I am on a medication called Fluvoxamine 100mg for obsessive compulsive disorder. I do have OCD but it is extremely minimal and it has been under control for several years now. The FAA denied my certificate for this reason but I am trying to find a way around this obstacle. My OCD was very very minimal to begin with so I don't understand why they are making this so difficult for me. No one can even tell that I have this disorder and it in no way makes me a "risk" in the air nor does it alter my lifestyle. Any suggestions to fulfill my dream?
  •  08-17-2007, 3:50 AM 4629 in reply to 3509

Re: Medical Certificate Dilemna

I dont' have a medical background, but my guess would be you were denied your medical certificate due to the fact  you were taking Fluvoxamine rather than your OCD.  I'm not sure if OCD itself is a primary factor for denial of a medical (could be). If your OCD is minor enough that you wouldn't need the medication or there was an alternative medication that isn't banned by the FAA you may be able to fullfil your dream of flight.

You can find a lot of good information on the FAA website (www.faa.gov). 

Here is a report as to FAA findings regarding the use of Fluvoxamine in relation to a number of accidents.

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/oamtechreports/2000s/media/0307.pdf

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us