LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Two more advantages (F16 vs MIG29) and questions

Last post 05-10-1999, 4:00 PM by anonymous2. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-27-1999, 12:23 AM 130

Two more advantages (F16 vs MIG29) and questions

*** Posted by Julian "Tiger" Raureanu ***
    Hi RUN and thanks for answering my questions.
    About the F16 vs MIG29 answer. I think there is one more advantage for each of these two.
    The MIG29 has a HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight) which is a big advantage in a dogfight.
    The F16 has fly-by-wire system which is more easy to use than a conventional mechanical sytem which requires a lot of force from the pilot to pull the stick.(opinion)

I would like to ask you a few questions.
    1. Are you agreed with my opinion?
    2. Can you override FLCS? I mean, can you take more than 9g and 25' AoA?
    3. Don't you think that a HMS, and a thrust vectoring system on the F16 will beat the MIG29 more easily?
    4. Which is T/W ratio of the F16, if not classified?
    That's all
    Thank you very much
    P.S. F16 is my dream as you see and the only aircraft I love truly.
  •  04-27-1999, 1:18 AM 131 in reply to 130

Re:Two more advantages

*** Posted by RUN ***
    You are right about the advantages except for the stick forces, but ofcourse it is nice with the support for the arm in the F16.

Answers to questions:

2. No, but you can get it a little above 9 Gs

3. Probably

4. Depends on the model, load & fuel, but more than 1 to 1 if clean.

RUN

[Hi RUN and thanks for answering my questions.
    About the F16 vs MIG29 answer. I think there is one more advantage for each of these two.
    The MIG29 has a HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight) which is a big advantage in a dogfight.
    The F16 has fly-by-wire system which is more easy to use than a conventional mechanical sytem which requires a lot of force from the pilot to pull the stick.(opinion)

I would like to ask you a few questions.
    1. Are you agreed with my opinion?
    2. Can you override FLCS? I mean, can you take more than 9g and 25' AoA?
    3. Don't you think that a HMS, and a thrust vectoring system on the F16 will beat the MIG29 more easily?
    4. Which is T/W ratio of the F16, if not classified?
    That's all
    Thank you very much
    P.S. F16 is my dream as you see and the only aircraft I love truly.]
  •  05-09-1999, 6:52 PM 331 in reply to 131

*** Posted by Kim Nielsen of DK ***
    [You are right about the advantages except for the stick forces, but ofcourse it is nice with the support for the arm in the F16.]

Could'nt You be in the wisf of some kind of response from the stick? This regarding to the dilemma between power-seering vs. traditional direct steering from the automobile-branch.

Kim
  •  05-10-1999, 4:00 PM 344 in reply to 331

*** Posted by RUN ***
    [Could'nt You be in the wisf of some kind of response from the stick? This regarding to the dilemma between power-seering vs. traditional direct steering from the automobile-branch.

Kim]

Not really. You can feel the responses in your body. In the early f16 days the stick didn't move at all and the old fighter pilots had a tough time adapting to this, so it was decided to let the stick move a little just to satisfy the pilots.
    In jets which are not fly-by-wire conrolled, but just controlled via wires and actuators, springs are used to give the pilot an artificial feel of stick forces.
    It's a little easier to control the aircraft when you have to overcome some force to move the stick & some pilots even trim the a/c a little nose heavy when they are flying formation so they have to constantly add a little back pressure even when flying straight & level.

In small low speed aircraft I think though it's important that you get some feedback through the stick. I used to fly gliders & here you get a lot of feeling through the stick. It's easy to tell wether you are stressing the glider to much or if you are about to stall.

RUN
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us