LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Too late?

Last post 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM by raimius. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-25-2009, 11:10 AM 7249

Too late?

Since I was a child I always dreamed of being an aircraft pilot, but never took my dream seriously enough to go to college or apply myself in highschool. I currently work a well paying job, but after 4 years have realized that good pay is nothing if everyday the realization that your dream is slipping away is sinking in.  I am 22 yrs and I know I have time but my window of oppurtunity is closing.  I will be starting college in the fall to work toward a degree in Aerospace engineering   and after college I plan to try to be a USAF pilot. (like everyone else im told) I know it wont be easy but I love to challenge myself physically and mentally.  This is an uncoventional way of going about becoming a USAF pilot, but I think its possible. What can I do to become a competitive candidate for flight school? Im told they will accept people until 30yrs old but do even stand a chance trying to enter USAF flight training at 27-28?

Thanks                                                                                                        Reilly

•  03-08-2009, 7:51 PM 7296 in reply to 7249

Re: Too late?

Yes, you have a chance.

I believe the age limit is 29, but it's been a while since I have seen the official requirements.

If you go AFROTC (which sounds like the best route for you), doing well academically, athletically, and getting a good review from your detachment commander would make you very competative for a pilot slot (assuming you are medically qualified).

•  05-22-2009, 6:26 PM 7620 in reply to 7249

I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread. I am having the same concerns as you. I have always wanted to join the AF, but never acted on it. I just Graduated this past week with a BS in Finance, Summa *** Laude (3.82). I am wondering if it is a possibility to join the AF and pursue a pilot career. I just turned 27 last month. Is it too late for me?
  •  05-24-2009, 1:24 AM 7639 in reply to 7620

You could potentially make it through OTS, but the timeline is getting pretty tight, due to your age.
  •  05-24-2009, 2:41 PM 7641 in reply to 7639

Thanks Raimius. I figured I was getting awfully close to the point of no return. I read somewhere that you must apply before being 28.5 and be in training before your 30th birthday. Does that sound accurate?

To be honest, I am not sure I would want to commit 8 years if I was doing something other than flying, or at least an opportunity to do so.
  •  05-26-2009, 10:25 PM 7651 in reply to 7641

Check at wantscheck.org in the medical section for UPT criteria.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us