LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

About academics in USAFA

Last post 03-17-2007, 4:25 AM by Raptorcoach. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-02-2007, 1:41 PM 4081

About academics in USAFA

How hard is the academics at the USAFA ? I mean, exacly how good eduaction will I get after those 4 year, compared to other strong universities (like Stanford, Boston, Oklahoma) ? I've always been into science (A LOT), and I am not sure whether USAFA's academics program offers me the kind of education I expect myself to have. Please advise.

Also, what are the most challenging majors ? Can anyone comment the Computer Science major ?

Looking forward to your reply,
    Desmond5
  •  03-03-2007, 12:15 AM 4082 in reply to 4081

Re: About academics in USAFA

All of the US service academies are regarded as challenging.  They are usually compared to the Ivy League schools (although Caltech and MIT are usually considered better for sciences).  USAFA is also reported to be the hardest academically.  In short, you WILL get a good education.

The hardest majors are usually considered to be aero and astro engineering along with biochem.  Electrical engineering is also said to be very demanding.

•  03-09-2007, 10:44 AM 4116 in reply to 4082

If you go for astroengineering, is there a good chance you could find work as a rocket scientist at NASA or ESA ? Or does one have to study futher at another university to qualify for that ?
  •  03-10-2007, 1:44 AM 4117 in reply to 4116

If you are an astro engineer, you could work for Air Force Research Labs while active duty.  I think there are a couple spots within NASA for AF officers, but most of the engineering is done by civilians (with advanced degrees).

Astro from USAFA is a great base, but I think NASA usually looks for people with advanced degrees (and mostly civilians).

•  03-17-2007, 4:25 AM 4129 in reply to 4081

The Academies are excellent schools ranked among the best in the country and the world.  But generally you wouldn't go to an Academy to become a scientist only.  The Academies are about turning out top notch Officers--people who want to serve their country and who might have to fight in wars, break things, and kill people.  it's about service.  And it's a big commitment for quite a few years of military service.  Wouldn't recommend going down the path if that's not for you.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us