LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

The AIM-9 L/M question?

Last post 04-02-2001, 9:10 PM by anonymous2. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-24-2000, 5:23 PM 1140

The AIM-9 L/M question?

*** Posted by Branislav ***
    Dear sir,

Please tell me what are the SCAN (BORE SCAN/SLAV SCAN) AIM-9L/M nutating mode and the SPOT (BORE SPOT/SCAM SPOT) AIM-9L/M non-nutating mode and what are the differences between them.
    Thank You in advance.
    Best regards,
    falconbr@EUnet.yu
  •  09-29-2000, 10:44 AM 1203 in reply to 1140

Re:The AIM-9 L/M question?

*** Posted by john ***
    Hi Branislav

I can't go into too much detail since a lot of that is probably still clasified, but I can tell you some.

Slave is when the missile head is slaved to the radar, so the the missile can quickly aquire a target which you have locked up with the radar. Bore mode is when the missile is looking straight ahead.
    With scan the seekerhead will have its own little searchpattern (can still be slaved to radar or boresight) and spot it just looks excactly where you tell it (Bore/Slave).

Hope that helped

John

[Dear sir,

Please tell me what are the SCAN (BORE SCAN/SLAV SCAN) AIM-9L/M nutating mode and the SPOT (BORE SPOT/SCAM SPOT) AIM-9L/M non-nutating mode and what are the differences between them.
    Thank You in advance.
    Best regards,
    falconbr@EUnet.yu
    ]
  •  03-28-2001, 6:27 AM 1317 in reply to 1203

Dear Sir,

First thank You for all Your answers to me.

I known that AIM-9/AIM-120 have two main modes of operation: BORE and SLAV and that the SLAV mode is default one.
    The questions are the following:

1. When doe's the pilot of F-16 use the BORE mode of AIM-9/AIM-120?
    2. In SLAV mode when the lock-on is obtained doe's the pilot have to command UNCAGE or it is done automatically? (see attached picture-virus free)
    3. In Your previous answer You said: " With scan the seekerhead will have its own little searchpattern (can still be slaved to radar or boresight)...". Question:
    Doe's the missile seeker diamond moves within ASE reticle in HUD when SCAN submode is selected?

Thank You in advance.

Best regards,

falconbr

[Hi Branislav

I can't go into too much detail since a lot of that is probably still clasified, but I can tell you some.

Slave is when the missile head is slaved to the radar, so the the missile can quickly aquire a target which you have locked up with the radar. Bore mode is when the missile is looking straight ahead.
    With scan the seekerhead will have its own little searchpattern (can still be slaved to radar or boresight) and spot it just looks excactly where you tell it (Bore/Slave).

Hope that helped

John

Dear sir,

Thank You in advance.
    Best regards,
    falconbr@EUnet.yu
    ]
  •  03-28-2001, 9:31 PM 1320 in reply to 1317

*** Posted by run ***
    I will answer your questions in order:

1. You would use the bore mode if you don't have a radar lock on the target, but you can see the target and it is fairly easy for you to just point and shoot the target.

2.You still have to uncage under normal operation, but there is an auto feature that will uncage by itself if you select it.

3. Yes

Run

[Dear Sir,

I known that AIM-9/AIM-120 have two main modes of operation: BORE and SLAV and that the SLAV mode is default one.

2. In SLAV mode when the lock-on is obtained doe's the pilot have to command UNCAGE or it is done automatically? (see attached picture-virus free)
    3. In Your previous answer You said: " With scan the seekerhead will have its own little searchpattern (can still be slaved to radar or boresight)...". Question:
    Doe's the missile seeker diamond moves within ASE reticle in HUD when SCAN submode is selected?

Thank You in advance.

Best regards,

falconbr

]
  •  03-30-2001, 2:10 PM 1334 in reply to 1320

Dear Sir,

Than You very much for all Your answers.
    Related to my previous questions dated 3/28/2001 and Your answers would You be so kind to make clear out to me the followings:
    1. Related to my first question from previous message:

I have got the folowing answer from my friend abut AIM-9 BORE mode:

" In BORE mode AIM-9 seeker head looks at the boresight of your aircraft no matter
    if your locked target is at 50 degrees left or right. This gives you the opportunity to fire
    your missile to another target during you maintain your lock on another one"

Question:

Does it mean if pilot wants to fire missile to another no-lock visual target that must place centered diamond to such target by maneuvering the plane? What is happen when UNCAGE is commanded?

2. Related to my third question from previous message:
    In SCAN mode, is it visible that missile seeker diamond moves trough Head-Up Display (I mean does pilot see that moving of missile seeker diamond in HUD)?

Is that moving is "zig-zag" moving or what?

Thank You for Your time and patience.

Best regards,

falconbr

[I will answer your questions in order:

1. You would use the bore mode if you don't have a radar lock on the target, but you can see the target and it is fairly easy for you to just point and shoot the target.

2.You still have to uncage under normal operation, but there is an auto feature that will uncage by itself if you select it.

3. Yes

Run

Dear Sir,

Thank You in advance.

Best regards,

falconbr

]
  •  03-30-2001, 6:44 PM 1336 in reply to 1334

*** Posted by run ***
    1. The seekerhead opens and tracks the target
    2.Yes. The actual scan pattern is classified

Run

[Dear Sir,

Related to my previous questions dated 3/28/2001 and Your answers would You be so kind to make clear out to me the followings:

" In BORE mode AIM-9 seeker head looks at the boresight of your aircraft no matter
    if your locked target is at 50 degrees left or right. This gives you the opportunity to fire

Question:

Does it mean if pilot wants to fire missile to another no-lock visual target that must place centered diamond to such target by maneuvering the plane? What is happen when UNCAGE is commanded?

In SCAN mode, is it visible that missile seeker diamond moves trough Head-Up Display (I mean does pilot see that moving of missile seeker diamond in HUD)?

Best regards,

falconbr

]
  •  03-31-2001, 11:58 AM 1347 in reply to 1336

Dear Sir,

Than You for Your answers.
    I have one more question about my first one form my previous e-mail/message and one new. I beging You for Your answer. I promise that I will not boring You about that mater any more.

1. Please confirm is it true or not the answer from my friend about AIM-9 BORE mode:

2. Question related to above-mentioned statement:
    Does it mean if pilot wants to fire missile to another no-lock visual target that he must place HUD centered diamond to such target by maneuvering the plane?

3. What is BP (bypass) AIM-9 mode?

Best regards,

falconbr

[1. The seekerhead opens and tracks the target
    2.Yes. The actual scan pattern is classified

Run

Dear Sir,

Question:

Best regards,

falconbr

]
  •  04-02-2001, 9:10 PM 1351 in reply to 1347

*** Posted by run ***
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Don't remember

Run
    [Dear Sir,

Than You for Your answers.
    I have one more question about my first one form my previous e-mail/message and one new. I beging You for Your answer. I promise that I will not boring You about that mater any more.

1. Please confirm is it true or not the answer from my friend about AIM-9 BORE mode:

2. Question related to above-mentioned statement:
    Does it mean if pilot wants to fire missile to another no-lock visual target that he must place HUD centered diamond to such target by maneuvering the plane?

3. What is BP (bypass) AIM-9 mode?

Best regards,

falconbr

]
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services