LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Is it too Late?

Last post 08-04-2005, 1:01 AM by scooter13. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-19-2005, 8:22 PM 2980

Is it too Late?

I recently graduated Business School with an MBA, but am seriously thinking about joining either the Navy or Airforce.  My goal is to become pilot, a dream I have always had since the first time I saw a plane.  I guess my question is this.....Is it to late?  I am 26 years old, 6 foot, and 190 pounds.  I am in very athletic shape as well as a bright student, or so I believe.  So is too late, and what would be the correct way to achiev this goal (Navy, Airforce, Airforce Academy, etc...)?  Thank you for any help
  •  07-20-2005, 10:09 AM 2981 in reply to 2980

Re: Is it too Late?

I can't give you a definite answer on that, you will have to check with the air force to find a definite answer..

However, I believe you could do it before you reach the cut off age.  Since you already have a degree, you could take the AFOQT and then apply for a pilots slot.  If you recieve one you would then go to OTS, and then on to pilot training.  I know that to become an officer you have to be commissoned before your 35th birthday, which is no problem.  However, to become a pilot, the age limits change a bit, but like I said, I don't know for sure, so you're best option now would be to contact a recruiter.

Hope this helps,
  •  07-23-2005, 5:28 PM 2983 in reply to 2980

Any recommendations on whether to go through Navy, Airforce, or Marine Corps?  Combination of statistics, facts, and opinions would be wonderful...
    And thank you Patrick for the reply, it was very helpful.

•  07-23-2005, 7:58 PM 2984 in reply to 2980

Well it really depends on what you want to fly.  Do you want to fly fighters, or attack, or cargo, or perhaps something else?  If you want to fly fighters, do you want the F-15, or F-16, or F/A-18?  Different branches fly different aircraft and different missions, so you should choose the one which matches whatever it is you' d like to do.
  •  08-04-2005, 1:01 AM 2993 in reply to 2980

Is it too late?  No.  I am USMC reserve who wanted to be a pilot in the Marines but I decided  not pursue a pilot career after I joined.  If you want to be a military pilot, I'd say your best bet is to look at the Airforce.  Why?  Better aircraft.  Bottom line.  If you like old helicopters, you probably have at least 80+% chance of flying them in the Marines.  Very few pilots end up flying fixed wing in the Marine Corps. 

Since you already have a degree you would apply to Airforce OTS as a non rated pilot before 28. If you choose the Navy, I believe you have roughly the same age limitations.  My best advice to you is to try to learn about the actual lifestyles of pilots in both services and go with what you think is best for you.

Check out these other forums.
    www.airforceots.com (airforce)
    www.airwarriors.com (marine/ navy)

Good Luck
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact