LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Becoming a USAF Pilot after college

Last post 08-22-2010, 1:31 PM by raimius. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-16-2010, 12:47 PM 9490

Becoming a USAF Pilot after college

I'm currently a student in college, trying to put together a plan for my future. I know I want to do 2 things, go to law school and become a lawyer and become a pilot in the USAF. I don't know exactly how all of this will fit together or what my chances of becoming a pilot are. I've never had flight training of any kind, my major in college is economics (I hear having a degree in something loosely based around physics is desirable) and I'm not enrolled in any military program like ROTC. Still, I have a strong desire to join the military, primarily the AF.

So, I'd like to know if anyone can help direct me to what I should be doing to increase my chances of becoming a pilot and maybe shed some light on what those chances look like as of right now. I should add that I go to a fairly prestigious school and I do not feel that any formal test of my intellectual or physical capabilities will be any difficulty for me.

Following that, here is basically what I've put together on my own as far as future plans go:
    - Graduate College 2012
    - Take Officer Classes/Test/Everything else needed for entering the USAF as a potential pilot
    - Remain in AF for the 4 years (~ 2016) as an active pilot and 2 (~2018) in reserve.
    - Start Law School after getting out of active (~2016) and becoming a full-fledged lawyer 3 years later (~2019).

Is there any flaws with this? Particularly the Law school while in reserve, I'm not sure what the risk will be with that. Thank you very much for all your help.
  •  08-22-2010, 1:31 PM 9501 in reply to 9490

Re: Becoming a USAF Pilot after college

Well, you have two major problems. 1. Active duty commitment for pilots is 10 years after completing pilot training (so, more like 11.5 years from when you enter the AF). 2. You need to get commissioned and selected for UPT. ROTC has a much higher chance for getting a pilot slot than OTS (and OTS has a low rate for acceptance). You need to look into that immediately. As an alternative, you could look into the Air National Guard.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us