corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Junior in college with specific details and questions...

Last post 04-04-2008, 12:42 AM by raimius. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-27-2008, 1:20 PM 5317

Junior in college with specific details and questions...

As the subject stated I am currently a junior in college.  I attend a small private liberal arts college.  My major is accountancy.  I will be graduating next year in the Spring of 2009.  I expect to graduate with a GPA around 3.5.  I took the ASVAB several years ago and scored an 88.  That score is no longer valid, but if taken again I would expect to score even higher.  I have good vision and I'm small framed.

I am debating between two routes after graduation.  I am thinking about applying to law school (I did very well on a practice logic test) and then making that my career or joining a military branch (leaning towards the NAVY) with the intent of being a pilot.  After the military, then joining the FBI as an accountant to complete 20 years for retirement and then possibly being a commercial pilot.

So now on to the questions.  What are the next steps I need to take in order to beome a pilot?  Given my limited options what are the chances of becoming a pilot?

I'm completely ignorant to how these things work.  I'm pretty sure it is way too late for me to be ROTC.  I'm not even really sure what that means.  If I have the terminnology correct I think I would be OTS meaning I went to Officer Training school.  I would think it would be logical for them to first weed out applicants and then take a good a hard look at the remaining applicants like they do for law school, medical school, etc.  So when they select people for flight school do they do it in this order:  graduates from the Naval Academy, ROTC, and then Officer Training School?  If not, then how does the selection process work?

There are several reasons why I would like to join the NAVY, but a primary reason is to be a pilot.  If not, then law school would be a nice route rather than just being an enlisted officer.  If the odds aren't completely stacked against me, then the other reasons to join are enough for me to take the chance.

•  04-04-2008, 12:42 AM 5333 in reply to 5317

Re: Junior in college with specific details and questions...

There is no such thing as an "enlisted officer."

I don't know that much about Navy programs (being USAF).  However, you could probably find a lot of information by talking to a NROTC commander (hopefully one at your school or near you).  Also, you could go to the official Navy site and poke around.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blcommission.htm

This has a general overview of Navy commissioning programs.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us