LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

The ATC system is understaffed and safety is being compromised

Last post 11-27-2006, 5:52 PM by Aviation Workers of America. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-27-2006, 5:52 PM 3785

The ATC system is understaffed and safety is being compromised

I fully believe the ATC system is under tremendous stress since FAA started its "run it like a business" push.  I am an air traffic controller at Newark Liberty Airport in NJ and our staffing is 25% below 2004 levels.  We used to have 40 controllers in the facility which was the authorized staffing number.  We now have 31 controllers.

In the last year, operational errors and aircraft accidents have increased significantly.  I don't have the exact numbers but it has become a much more dangerous place to fly into.  Our staffing is so bad that we have lowered the level of competence necessary to work at EWR just so we can get bodies in the building.  We also have 5 more controllers who will retire in 2007.

We need to fix the staffing problem before a major accident occurs.  Unfortunately, FAA doesn't usually respond until deaths occur.  The aviation community needs to speak out about this.

More information regarding the staffing issue can be found at www.natca.org

You can help us take action to fix this and other problems in the aviation industry by visiting www.aviationworkersofamerica.org

Please check them out and make a change.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us